Nomad and BP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donooo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Will the Nomad wing work with a backplate ? If so, will it work with doubles ? Mounted just on the Transpac I read it will work with a single, how about doubles ?

I am at a fork in the road and can't do /buy everything.

tnx don O

I tried to mount a DR backplate onto a Nomad without much success. Maybe someone from Dive Rite can offer some clues as to how it could be done.

Will the Nomad wing work with a backplate ? If so, will it work with doubles ? Mounted just on the Transpac I read it will work with a single, how about doubles ?

I am at a fork in the road and can't do /buy everything.

tnx don O

What type of diving are you trying to do? The Nomad will work the same as a Rec on a backplate, however it does not have cam-band slots as it is intended to mount under the TransPac as part of a complete system. Like the Rec it has a narrower center panel that makes it function best with 7.25-inch diameter doubles or smaller. A backplate will impinge on part of the bladder.

Jerry

What type of diving are you trying to do?
Jerry

That's a great question, with no simple answer. I am a recreational diver, I currently dive a Transpac. The first thing I did after my first trip to Cozumel with the Transpac is E-bay the rec wing. I currently dive with the travel wing and it works great.
Next step, I am thinking that I would like to take some more advanced classes. (Adv.Nitox, Deco and the sort) I really don't want to ever own, haul or fill doubles, but the Instructors all want me to take the classes in doubles. I can easily see where doing a recreational dive with students, a Nomad might work out perfect. Just grab two AL 80's and rig up. So a Transpac with a rec wing will get me into doubles, but I am thinking that I would rather dive sidemount off the boat with students.
Last, I am trying to accomplish all of this without getting a real job or having to explain all of the "new" junk in the garage to my wife.
The Dive Rite web site explains that you can still dive a single with the Nomad, but no mention of doubles. But you say no slots for cam bands ? This is getting hard to visualize. I guess that I was figuring that if it would work with a BP and doubles it would work with a Transpac and doubles.

I am looking for a wing that is similar to a crescent wrench, does everything.

tnx don O

tnx don O

Jerry, as I re read your reply, I think you have said that the Nomad wing will not work with a backplate but the Nomad (the system)will work with smaller diameter doubles.

If that is true, then I would buy the Nomad wing instead of a Rec wing and do my classes in Double AL80's.

tnx don O

The Nomad wing is essentially a modified rec wing. You can dive any size traditional doubles in it. You could also add cam bands on the harness and use it with singles. Since the ends of the wing have slots in them, you thread these through your waist strap and don't have to worry about the "taco" effect when diving singles. You cannot use the TransPac harness, which is what a nomad is, with a backplate - it wasn't designed for it. The transpac itself is a "soft" backplate design.

The Nomad wing is essentially a modified rec wing. You can dive any size traditional doubles in it. You could also add cam bands on the harness and use it with singles. Since the ends of the wing have slots in them, you thread these through your waist strap and don't have to worry about the "taco" effect when diving singles. You cannot use the TransPac harness, which is what a nomad is, with a backplate - it wasn't designed for it. The transpac itself is a "soft" backplate design.

Great answer, that about sums it up. I never intended the Transpac harness with a BP. Just through that in to confuse myself.

So, I buy the Nomad wing and butt plate, TP stabilizer plates and put together some AL80's to sell when I am done.

tnx don O

Next step, I am thinking that I would like to take some more advanced classes. (Adv.Nitox, Deco and the sort) I really don't want to ever own, haul or fill doubles, but the Instructors all want me to take the classes in doubles. I can easily see where doing a recreational dive with students, a Nomad might work out perfect. Just grab two AL 80's and rig up. So a Transpac with a rec wing will get me into doubles, but I am thinking that I would rather dive sidemount off the boat with students.
Last, I am trying to accomplish all of this without getting a real job or having to explain all of the "new" junk in the garage to my wife.

You are going to make your life unnecessarily complicated. If you want to take Adv. Nitrox/Deco., we can assume that you will be carrying 3 bottles. With a BP/W this is trivial. If you're trying to sidemount all three, then things are going to get a bit more sticky. Your classmates will be in doubles. Gas management will be centered around doubles, and you're going to be switching tanks and monitoring gas in three different places.

We have had a lot of success using the Nomad for sidemounting rebreather bottles. Others seem to have great success with the Nomad for OC sidemount. If that's where you're going, buy it down the road when you need it. Buy the right tool for the job at hand. A set of Al80 doubles or LP85s with an AL40 of 50% will get you through a LOT of diving. Particularly if you're not planning on cave diving.

I am looking for a wing that is similar to a crescent wrench, does everything.

Expect it to work like a crescent wrench then. Half-***** at everything.

You are going to make your life unnecessarily complicated. If you want to take Adv. Nitrox/Deco., we can assume that you will be carrying 3 bottles. With a BP/W this is trivial. If you're trying to sidemount all three, then things are going to get a bit more sticky. Your classmates will be in doubles. Gas management will be centered around doubles, and you're going to be switching tanks and monitoring gas in three different places.

We have had a lot of success using the Nomad for sidemounting rebreather bottles. Others seem to have great success with the Nomad for OC sidemount. If that's where you're going, buy it down the road when you need it. Buy the right tool for the job at hand. A set of Al80 doubles or LP85s with an AL40 of 50% will get you through a LOT of diving. Particularly if you're not planning on cave diving.

Expect it to work like a crescent wrench then. Half-***** at everything.

All of this is correct. To clarify, I just want to take the Advanced Nitrox/Deco. I really have no goals that are deep or dark, just the knowledge that comes from the classes. So I am thinking doing the classes with the Transpac using the Nomad wing. Then using the Transpac and Nomad wing for what ever comes next, be it sidemount or a little dab of doubles. No intention of trying to take the classes sidemount. In fact I don't think there is an instructor that would consider it.

In some respects a BP/W is the perfect solution, just obsolete after I take some classes. Remember I have no desire to own, haul or fill doubles, they are just a "requirement" for the classes.
Throwing money at it is the easy route. Get a job, buy it all and fill up the garage. I can see where going off of a boat with two sidemounted AL 80's, could be easy and that is more likely then doing doubles.
So the weakness of the Nomad wing is doing a little bit of doubles with the Transpac. That would be for only classes. Maybe I rent a BP/W instead and don't even buy a Nomad. That is always a route.
The leading question was about whether the Nomad wing would work with the Transpac and doubles. That answer appears to be yes.

tnx don O

What I don't understand frankly, is why you'd be willing to sidemount twin 80s off a boat, but not carry them as doubles. The weight is the same, so whats the primary issue?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom