Old repair kits - when are they too old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachnik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm sure many of us have seen those dated regulator repair kits selling on ebay. Particularly Scubapro stuff. Often times, you'll look at the photo of the product and see a kit date. The kits are many times 10 to 12 years old.

If the elastomers in these kits have been sitting on the shelf that long, are they likely to still be OK?

Please, do not bid on the Scubapro kits. If you do, get your bid in early.

So you can be easily sniped by a competing bidder right at the end.:shakehead:

Besides soft parts degredation with age, modern kits may have updated materials and parts that are not backwards compatible. Or they might work just fine. You really need to know what has changed since the early '90s to decide what is usable and with what restrictions.

Snipe? What's a snipe? When I was in the Boy Scouts, we used to send the new guys snipe hunting....but they never brought any back for my examination. :)

So you can be easily sniped by a competing bidder right at the end.:shakehead:

Besides soft parts degredation with age, modern kits may have updated materials and parts that are not backwards compatible. Or they might work just fine. You really need to know what has changed since the early '90s to decide what is usable and with what restrictions.

OK, could we have a show of hands:

• How many of you are using JBidWatcher
  • How many like to do it the old fashioned way - sit there watching the thing until the final seconds and then hit the submit button

(it's a joke, no spitting please)

Please, do not bid on the Scubapro kits. If you do, get your bid in early.

Don't blame me. I was minding my own business and then one day I saw this video on YouTube. Some guy showed everyone how easy it is to service a Scubapro 1st stage. I can't wait to see the sequel "Servicing your G250 in three easy steps".

JBidWatcher? Snipe? Rebuild your own regulator? What kind of a place is this? Mamma told me not to come....mamma told me not to come...She said, that ain't no way to have fun...son, that...

I'm having a Three Dog Night flash back....better change my avatar.

JBidWatcher? Snipe? Rebuild your own regulator? What kind of a place is this? Mamma told me not to come....mamma told me not to come...She said, that ain't no way to have fun...son, that...

I'm having a Three Dog Night flash back....better change my avatar.

And you might want to up your bid --- NAH, not worth it.

Don't blame me. I was minding my own business and then one day I saw this video on YouTube. Some guy showed everyone how easy it is to service a Scubapro 1st stage. I can't wait to see the sequel "Servicing your G250 in three easy steps".

I should never have done that video. Now everyone is bidding on service kits.

I love the ebay part where someone is selling old dacor regs that have no production seats and have not been supported by(mares )since approx 1999ish? however you can buy it the reg cheap... I seem to remember the lady who sued Mcdonalds because when she held her coffee she got burned when it spilled..... common sense with reg repair might be take a formal manufacterer"s service course and then you get to assume your own liability I would love to do brain surgery over you tube easy as pie??????

Service Kits? Automotive AC O-Rings, some Bicycle Schraeder valves and and old piece of inner tube are all I have ever needed.

Back
Top Bottom