Teaching an old dog new tricks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JSharp13

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I looked around on the forums, and really couldn't find anything that answered the questions I was looking for, so here goes...

I am a semi-pro photographer. I have done weddings and new babies, and have sold some macros and landscape. However, I am new to diving. Obviously, one of the things that really interests me is underwater photography.

Currently, I have a Canon Rebel XTI with an assortment of lenses, flashes, and filters. I haven't been able to find anything that hints to me that I would be able to use this camera effectively underwater. (I'm not sure I would want to take the chance anyway).

I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on purchasing a camera (with housing included or available) that I wouldn't be disappointed with. RAW would be fantastic, but not necessary. I am looking for good color and a fairly good pixel size. Since I would like to take some pictures of animals, a minimal shutter delay is also important. I would like to stay around $500, but if I think it is worth it to spend a little more, I would be willing to.

I appreciate any help you guys can give. Please let me know if more info is required.

There are a good number of housings for your camera. One suggestion is, what kind of photography do you have in mind, ie: macro or wide angle (WA), you need to also determine what kind of strobe you should use, what lenses, what ports are needed for the houisng.
If money is not an issue, there is a really nice small housing called "seatool" for your camera. The least expensive end would include an Ikelite housing, there is probably not a housing that would cost $500, you'll have to at least double that for the housing alone....not including strobe, ports, strobe arms, as well as a few other small items. B&H has a housing selection as does Reef Photo. You might try and google or call Reef Photo to see what kind of pkg. they would put together for you as well as a quote on the cost of what it is you want to purchase. There are other websites such as backscatter.com that you can look at housings.

Canon G9 is the camera I'm currently drooling over, and it looks like it might fit your needs (if you don't want to take the Rebel u/w).

I was planning on getting one, but my wife just got me a brand new macro lens for my existing camera...so I'm going to have to wait a few months so she feels I got some use out of it. :)

Looks like I would be sitting at around $600 for the G9 with housing. It looks like I could step down to the G7 and save about $100. All I lose is some megapixels (I never enlarge over 8x10 anyway).

My question there is, how deep can you go with the on-camera flash?

Go with the G-9. It will cost you a little more than you've budgeted, but it will do everything you want a camera to do. It has all the manual settings you're used to on a DSLR, shoots RAW, has a hotshoe if you go with the more expensive Ikelite housing or will fire a slave strobe with ttl from the cheaper Canon housing. If you want to check its capabilities, look at the current thread below from Ed_Dman. I'd recommend the Ikelite housing, for two reasons. One, if you get the shorter port, you can add a wide angle lens. Two, you can add their excellent DS-125 with the ttl controller in their housing. Ed uses the Canon housing modified to accept 67mm close-up lenses and takes wides with his old S80. He slaves an Inon Z240 strobe, which is very powerful.
If you decided to house your XT-i, the cheapest you'll get away with is Ikelite, at about $1300 for the housing, plus several hundred more for ports. If you don't have the right lenses for UW use, count on another $2000. You'll be locked into either/or macro or wide angle. You have to choose before you dive. I doubt you'll get better pictures than what Ed is getting with his G9, and your rig will be 1/4 the size and weight with the G-9.

Looks like I would be sitting at around $600 for the G9 with housing. It looks like I could step down to the G7 and save about $100. All I lose is some megapixels (I never enlarge over 8x10 anyway).

My question there is, how deep can you go with the on-camera flash?

From everything I've read, the G9 is/will be better than the G7.......Here's a pic I took @ about 100' with the Canon A570IS last summer, I use no strobe-only the onboard flash so far......For close ups(ie within 3-4
IMG_1471_063.jpg
feet) the flash should suffice.......

G-7 doesn't have RAW. G-9 has a 3" screen. Worth the extra $100.

Alright. G9 looks like the way to go. One last question...any suggestions on where to purchase? I usually go with Adorama for my gear. Is there site you would recommend that specializes in underwater gear?

Adorama carries the camera and the Ikelite housing. Reef Photo carries the Ikelite housing. B & H carries the camera and the Canon housing.
Canon G-9 | B&H Photo Video

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom