A diver's review of the Canon A570IS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Medic0506

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, after much debate I decided to go with the the Canon A570IS with the Canon WP-DC12 underwater housing. For full specs and a good land review on the camera go here Canon PowerShot A570 IS Digital Camera - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!. But as for diving and underwater reviews with examples they were tough to find so here you go.

A quick sidenote. I am not a professional photographer or videographer. I have taken a couple photo classes and understand photography but I am, by no means, an expert.

Photo

So here's a few land based examples.

STB_0153.JPG

Using stitch assist you can create some cool panoramas.

barviewfb.jpg

Underwater the camera was just as easy to use as on land. The buttons are big and easy to push. All but one button is functional underwater and that button is a button used to send photos from your camera to a compatible printer so if you need to use this function underwater I think it might be time to reevaluate your dive plan. :D The white balance worked very well even if a white dive slate was not available to set the balance. I just pointed the camera at something remotely white and clicked set white balance and it worked quite well. Cool Shark pic.

IMG_02773.JPG

Some wider shots.

IMG_02084.JPG

IMG_02024.JPG

As with any P&S camera I found the flash being so close to the lens created a lot of backscatter (even with the diffuser on). Here is an example with flash.

IMG_02066.JPG

Now without flash.

IMG_02073.JPG

As for macro photography I found this camera is great! Here is a couple of examples.

IMG_02872.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

Quick sidenote about the flash. When the flash is on full force or if the batteries are starting to get low, flash recycle can take a bit long. This is one of the few downfalls of the camera but it's not too inconvenient.

now for video...

Video

The video is pretty good on land, however it is limited. You do have the option of 15, 30, or 60 frames per second (fps) and two video sizes. Obviously the larger the video size or greater the fps the greater the file size. With the 60 fps you can only use the smaller video size. I found that the size of the videos are manageable and without additional encoding you get about 100mb/min at 30fps with the larger video size. Here is an example of the video quality with some editting and overly dramatic music.

Stage6 · Sharks!*-*Video and Download*·*medic0506!

My only complaint about the video is the inability to alter the white balance. That is evident in the sharks video. You can see the difference between the shark pic and the video. The land video is also great. Here is an example.

Stage6 · land test*-*Video and Download*·*medic0506

Sound is suprisingly good on the video when in the housing as the land test shows.

Overall

Storage is good on the camera and, I believe it can take up to a 4 gb card (if not an 8 gb). A full quality photo is about 3 mb or so and like I said the video (@30 fps and full size) is 100 mb/min.

The camera is a little battery hungry. USE NIMH BATTERIES. With NiMH (2500mAH) I got through two dives with this camera without having to replace them (shooting video, photos, and reviewing them).

Conclusion

Overall this camera is awesome (especially for being $300 with housing). It does great photos, good video, and it has many modes for you to grow with from auto to full manual. My only two complaints about the camera is it's inability to adjust white balance while in video mode and the (sometimes) long flash recycle time. Other than that the camera is perfect for the non-professional, recreational diver looking to either just take some pictures underwater or learn underwater photography basics.

How was the shutter lag? In other words, how much of a difference between what you thought you captured and the actual shot you got?

As long as you had the image focused there was little to no shutter lag. I was very impressed with that actually and probably should have put it in the review.

Medic0506,

Welcome to the wonderful world of U/W photography and thanks for the camera review. The new digital cameras are amazing.

I found I had very similar battery usage with my A720IS and changed my batteries every 2 dives. It would be nice to have 4 batteries like the A630/640s but I liked the smaller size camera.

Rickg

I just got this camera and have not used it yet. I have a question about the flash. Your pictures without the flash look better (because of backscatter)...but I thought that you want as much light as possible (strobes, etc) so how did you get such good pictures without any extra light??

I'm confused

Well external strobes are further away from the lens thereby reducing backscatter. This happens because the angle of the flash to the lens is very small. Flashes that are close to the lens illuminate the particles directly in front of the lens causing the backscatter. Again if I'm wrong please correct me, as I am not an expert. I just used lower shutter speed and a big aperture opening. This is where the image stabilization system comes in handy. For a quick and handy explanation of using shutter and aperture settings, go here.

Yeah I've looked at those links and it never makes any sense to me. Maybe photography just isn't for me...

Back
Top Bottom