Attn: Captains for the Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I visited the Oriskany as a deckhand on board the H2Obelow today and I noticed something very interesting that you should be aware of - You guys are not going to be able to find your buoy balls if you don't maintain them. When we pulled up we found the super structure on the bottom machine but I looked and looked and couldn't see a single buoy from the bow of the boat. Where were your balls?

When we got out there all six of the balls were hidden by 'growth' on them from under use! As you all know there are six balls out there but none of them could be seen from the surface because they were black with algae.

Captain Daves were very 'hairy' with long brown growth on them. Captain Ron's (though they are smaller) were covered in a grimey brown growth. Captain Douglas (his are the biggest ones out there) also needed maintenance.

So on the second dive I scraped and cleaned all your balls (buoys)! They were a mess! You know that you are not the only ones who use your balls, they are public property to all the captains. We dive master/deckhands hate to be looking for your balls and not be able to identify them easily. Now you can get a good nights sleep knowing that everybody can find your balls on the Oriskany.

The moral of this story is that if you want someone to be able to see your balls, you must keep them CLEAN! :eyebrow:

I'll bill later for my service!

The moral of this story is that if you want someone to be able to see your balls, you must keep them CLEAN!

coke.gif

All the best, James

Bwaha! Great read :) Guess with the traffic down over winter time they haven't been getting much use/wear to keep growth off.

seadodgirl, Thank you for your service. I cleaned my line last time I was out there and planned on cleaning the balls on my next trip. I bet you did a much better job then I could have done. Now I must go get ready for my 1st day of diving here in cozumel.

Thanks seadoggirl for the assist,
It seems that I have been the only person (besides Capt. Jeff and Capt. Ron) who have taken the time to clean the Oriskany sub-surface buoys in the past.
I cleaned mine (the doubles attached to the structure above the flags) on our New Years Eve dive, so you may have mine confused with someone elses).

I think it is important to keep our dive sites in the best condition possible, because it speaks volumes about who we are and how we value not only the Oriskany dive site, but every site we dive. This is why most divers beleive in leaving the dive site in better condition then when they arrived. Just removing a dropped can or bottle, or cutting some fishing line from the site will enhance the experience for those who follow (it may even prevent an entaglement issue, for us and those who live there).
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy maintaining the dive sites and any excuse I can find to get in the water does my heart and soul good.

You are correct when you say that the buoys are public property and should be maintained.
There are however eight buoys on site and having them out there makes it very safe and easy to tie into the site without risking a divemaster or damaging the growth on site when "chaining" in time after time.

Most of the captains when they run charters out there have their hands full and do not have the time to clean their buoys, this is where a good divemaster will show some initiative and take on the challenge themselves while on a safety stop or just snorkeling on the surface (even when the water is a little chilly).

The other items on site that require maintenance are the American and POW flags.
These are not required items and do not play a role in dive or safe boating operations, but do however enhance the dive experience, and may enlighten those who dive this site that brave American soldiers served their country aboard this magnificent ship, and it deserves respect.
For those who served and made the ultimate sacrifice aboard the USS Oriskany we placed the American flag on Her during the summer solstis of "06" followed by the POW flag shortly after.
As a veteran I consider it an honor and a priveledge to dedicate my time and resorces to maintaining this worthy cause, and if you or anyone else sees that they need to be replaced, please drop me a line and it will be done.

I think open communication between those of us who frequent the Mighty "O" on a regular basis will keep this awesome dive site in the best codition possible until we pass the responsibility to the next generation of responsible divers.

Thanks again.
Safe diving,
Capt. Dave

One Team - One Mission!

I'm with ya! The more open conversation we all have about these issues the better.

Make the Mighty O the best that it can be. Plus as one of those who flips off to tie in and battles with sighting the bouys while you Captains try to hold it all together; life is easier if we all maintain the sight - who cares who the damn things belong to!

But you can only imagine how funny it was watching me in a 5m wetsuit, hanging on top of each ball mostly upside down, scrubbing the crap off with a brillo pad from the H2OBelow. I was fithy when I got back on the boat. I was literally CRAWLING with baby shrimp. Yuk!

I take payment in Miller Lite!

Hey Seadoggirl,
Thanks again for scrubbing the marine slime off the buoys.
It's always a fun task, especially when the water is cool.:14:
I think during the winter months when the charters are few and far between we should make this "chore" a part of the charter when we are lucky enuogh to have one.
The DM would be the likely candidate to take on this responsibility, unless the Capt. wants to do it during the SIT (that's when I get wet).
The buoys are a part of the Oriskany now and belong to everyone to use at their discretion, but we as operators need to maintain them.
I'm sure that most of the people who go out there are grateful they are there.
When all the buoys are occupied, usually during the summer months, we as operators are happy to have a "newcommer" tie into our stern for the duration of their dives or ours, whichever comes first.
The Oriskany was placed out there for all to enjoy, and enjoyed it is!
Your Miller light is on ice, I just want to see you drink the first one through your snorkle:D.
Safe diving,
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom