Annual service charges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vinnydav

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently had my regulator serviced and was surprised at the total cost. My LDS charged $70.00 for labor -no problem, but $100.00 in material for a Aqualung regulator
seems high. Or am I wrong in the material cost?

I do not know what the parts cost is but if you are the original owner of the reg and have kept up on your service AL provides free parts for life.

My lds charges $49 or $66 (the higher price is for an oil filled environmentaly sealed primary) for primary & 2nd and $14 for an octo, alternate 2nd.

Below is the text of AquaLung reg warranty.

*Regulators
Free Parts for life agreement
30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee
Limited Lifetime Warranty (Pro-rated)
COVERED:
•
This warranty extends to all regulators and alternate air source parts provided that an annual inspection or overhaul is performed in accordance with Aqua Lung America procedures.
NOT COVERED:
•
Mouthpieces that have been torn or bitten through or hoses that have pulled out of crimps.

I just got mine back today. it was $55 labor and $40 in parts. But no cost for the parts on a aqualung. So total cost was $55. I had the batteries changed on my computer so that was $27.I have a legend

I recently had my regulator serviced and was surprised at the total cost. My LDS charged $70.00 for labor -no problem, but $100.00 in material for a Aqualung regulator

So you paid 170.00 to have your regulator serviced? That seems really high to me. If that happened to me I would look for other options for service. I must be spoiled by my lds, 50.00 gets me a primary, 2nd stage and octo.

Heck, at that price, it almost seems a better deal to just buy a brand new reg setup every 3 years.

I hate to say it, but for me ....it is a racket.

I wish I could dive as much as some on here but my job is to train the military and if you watch the news, you know they are very busy right now.

But I try to get my reg serviced every year even if I put only 4 dives on it and that is where I feel ripped off. You either do the yearly service or get threatened with higher non annual services.

I agree, that does seem really high and at that price, I would sooner buy a new reg or at least a new used one. Rest assured there are other dive shops that charge much less, and while I can't speak to yours, there are also shops out there that are less than scrupulous.

Although this is a whole other discussion, some even consider it "taboo," but there is the option of self-servicing. If you're inclined and able, tools, service manuals, and parts are available out there. Not sure how available they are for Aqualung, but I see ScubaPro kits on eBay all the time. I'd advise against this if you're not mechanically inclined, as you run some risks of getting yourself in trouble underwater, but the truth is it's not rocket science. There's a whole forum here on SB dedicated to this if you're interested.

Best of luck!

100 buck for parts is a rip off, no mistake about it. Full reatail price for each stage usually cost between 6-15 bucks. The shop will re order the parts as a warentee thus paying nothing. So yea you did get hosesed. $70 for labor is reasonable.

I was wondering if your shop replaced your hoses, hose protectors, some part of your reg that was broke. If that was the case you should of been informed but its possible the lines of communication broke down.

To me it shounds like somthing else happened to justify that kind of price, i cant imagine they would charge that much for some repair kits.

If your considering working on your own gear I recomend getting your start at repair class put on by a gear company.

Jumbo

You didn't really say what work was done. In the L.A. area, an SE2 1st and 2nd stage runs around $70 - $100 total. Clean it & replace the consumable parts - filter, seat, o-rings, diaphragm.

Hello Vinnydav...Welcome to SB,

Before we jump to conclusions, how about listing the parts they replaced and tell us if it was warrantee work or not.

couv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom