Regulator service frequency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidcl1

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a Sherwood Blizzard regulator @ 7 years old that gets used maybe once or twice per year, usually around March. I have a Scuba pro Air 2, attached to my high pressure inflator that is maybe 3 years old. I just had them both serviced January 07 for a March diving trip where they were used on a total of 4 dives. I have a trip to St. Lucia planned in March where again I will do about 4 dives (2- 2 tank dives). Honestly, I know that it is better safe than sorry, especially with scuba equipment, but do I really need to get them both serviced again before this trip? What about my BC? I have a Scuba Pro Accent BC which I also had serviced in January 07. How often does that need servicing?

Service frequency​

Hello David....Welcome to Scuba Board,​

Service frequency is an issue that comes up from time to time and like all other issues here will be debated ad nauseam. So brace your self for a deluge starting with my two cents.​

If you are determined to keep the useless and expensive warrantee intact, you must follow the manufactures suggested service interval. However, even if keeping the useless and expensive warrantee intact is not an issue, learning to check your equipment yourself is very important and will help YOU determine if your equipment needs service. The following checks should be done even if there has been a fresh service done by a reputable repair shop and of course before any dive trip.​

Regulator inspection​

There are a few checks that everyone is capable of doing. One is the intermediate pressure check. Get a simple 300 psi pressure gage from Ace Hardware (I like the helpful hardware man better that the giant store types) and adapt it to your quick disconnect http://www.diveriteexpress.com/regs/hoses.shtml. Find out the what the IP range should be for your regulator (most are ~ 135 +/- 10 psi).​

Another check is the cracking pressure of each second stage. Fill your kitchen sink and immerse the regulator with the mouth piece up and see if it begins to flow before the diaphragm gets more than a 1 1/2 of inches deep. You may have to put plastic tubing in place of the mouth piece to do this. If you want to get fancy (there is no reason to get fancy) make a simple manometer from plastic tubing and a yard stick http://www.komar.org/faq/manometer/ Finally, a water tight check is also very easy to perform. Hook the first stage up to a tank and without turning on the air (if you have a good tight dust cap you can use that instead) draw a breath until you hear the second stage diaphragm retract. You do not want to draw too hard as it will collapse the exhaust valves and cause a leak. Will the reg hold vacuum? If so, it is probably water tight and vice-versa.

The BC....as you mentioned you have an Air II the same second stage rules apply to the regulator function. The inflator/deflator should operate as advertised. The bladder should hold air fairly well overnight. If you feel comfortable removing the cover off of your overpressure valve do that and make sure the valve is not stuck.
These simple checks can be done by anyone. They should be done often, not to mention when new out of the box or after shop service.​

Check early, check often.​

couv​

Sherwood's Dry Air Bleed system keeps the ambient chamber sealed from the environment.

If you've been careful not to introduce water into the regulator, you should be able to extend the service interval substantially and with confidence, IMHO, possibly to several years.

You would be well served by investing in Vance Harlow's Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair.

SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow

Even if you didn't do your own servicing, the book would help you to assess your regulator's condition and feel confident in extending the service interval.

The BCD probably can go for many years without servicing.

Can't speak to the Air 2.

Dave C

I have a Scuba pro Air 2, attached to my high pressure inflator that is maybe 3 years old.

There is no high pressure inflator, it's low pressure inflator, but that is besides the point.

Your probably fine going two or maybe three years between service especially with Sherwoods. However in some cases a lack of use can cause parts to wear and lubricants to dry out. I think it would be wise to at least take your regulator down to your local shop and get an inspection before you leave on your trip, the shop I work at charges only $15 for this and we will adjust your 1st and 2nd stages as needed. The least you could do is hook your reg up to a tank yourself and check for leaks, freeflows, ect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom