Alabama Point seawall & Jetties Dive report 1-13-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got out to Alabama Point today trying to do a little more diving of the area to familiarize myself with the seawall and explore the jetty. The weather was really nice for a winter dive with air temps at 64* according to my computer the water temps were 59* at the surface. Viz was 10 to 15 feet. The plan was to make a one tank dive and explore both the seawall and the jetty. We started out down the seawall and just made a slow trip along the wall. We made it out to a large air conditioning unit at about 20 fsw and decided to turn around and start back towards the jetty. During this time we ran into 3 sea horses just hanging around. We stopped and played with them and I took a couple pics and then we were on our way. We made it to the jetty and started down it. After a short while I felt bursts of warm water ahead and I took off through a thermocline that was very pronounced into 62* water. You could literally look up and see the cold water layer. I played around lifting my head into the cooler water and then lowering it into the warmer water. I really enjoyed the jetty. Next time I will do an entire tank on it and really explore it. We eventually turned and headed back to our entry point after a dive time of 61 minutes, max depth of 22 feet, surfacing with 1400 psi still in my AL80. This was definitely a nice way to end this weekend of diving. I didn’t feel like taking a bunch of pictures on this trip, but here are a couple.

0052.JPG

008.JPG

0092.JPG

0134.JPG

Low tide was at 9:30 am and we splashed in at around 12:00. There was not supposed to to be a big shift so we tried it. I didn't really didn't feel any significant current, mostly felt slack. High tide was scheduled for 5:48 pm, so I figured we would at least have an in-coming tide hopefully making the viz decent. When I arrived it looked like the tide was out-going and the water was a bit brackish. Anyhoozle there was enough viz to make the dive so we did it. I partnered up with Gary Toms, not sure if you have met him before or not.

Just to make sure I was reading the tide tables correctly. I went to saltwatertides.com, clicked on the alababame section, and selected Mobile Point/Ft. Morgan. The only thing I didn't do was add on the 15 minutes to the high tide times since we were diving at noon and I didn't think it would really matter. Was that correct? Because it didn't seem like we were diving an in-coming tide.

I was thinking about getting in another dive to check out the jetty sometime towards the end of the month if anybody wants to go. I will look at some dates and throw them out to see what works best for somebody or for several people.

i went out to the seawall yesterday, was real nice cool. I didn`t stay to long , i got to about 15 fsw , watched a few schools of lady fish, then headed back current was picking up a little , just didn`t wanna get in caught in it , but was a great day!! . It was close to low tide then , water was about 15 vis.

Let me know when you are going...I would like to dive it sometime.

I was thinking about getting in another dive to check out the jetty sometime towards the end of the month if anybody wants to go. I will look at some dates and throw them out to see what works best for somebody or for several people.

wjefferis, sounds like you did the tide thing right.

Great pics, some of the best I think you've posted so far.

Thanks for the report.

Nice pictures. Looks like some good diving in that area. I have not tried it there though. YET.

Walter you are becoming quite the photographer!! Great job!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom