2nd stage "harmonica" at the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Osseous

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks- I have just received my new ST1 Atomic- and I stuck it on an old tank to test it out a bit prior to my first dive with my new toy. I have run into this before- and was a little put off to find that the 2nd stage trumpets on exhale... I guess the best way to describe it is that it sounds like a harmonica when I exhale. I unscrewed the cap, checked the diaphragm and all seems well with the assembly. As I said, I've had that happen with a lot of rental regs in the past- but I was really expecting smooth and effortless with this top of the line reg- What's the scoop? Don't worry about it until I've had it to depth? Send it back for one that doesn't "bark"? I guess I should be happy that the Zeagle Octo Z that I received in the same box is smooth and quiet. Sure would like to sort this out. Help!~

My Apeks XTX-50 does that too, but i was told it's not a problem. Hope they were right...lol

Exhale or Inhale?? It fairly common for regs to buzz during inhale ABOVE water, nothing to worry about or "repair". The diaphram vibrates due to pressure pulses (short version of story), underwater the water damps the vibrations enough so they don't happen. ....If it's exhale...ya got me.

Inhale is slight, exhale is significant. I talked to the shop and they said it's normal until it is submerged- which doesn't make it any less annoying. I hate it when my regs do this- but was willing to tolerate it more with a cheapo rental reg. I'm thinking of returning the ST1 in favor of something else...

Does it mildly on inhale and significantly louder and stronger on exhale. Just called Atomic and they said "they all do that". Perfectly normal- and annoying as hell. Time for a different design for these diaphragms if you ask me. :0(

It sounds like the exhaust valve is reverberating as you exhale. This is based on the same principle as the harmonic resonance the occurs in piston 1st stages. Any reg will do this if you exhale at just the right rate. If you exhale with some force it probably won't make the noise. It's possible the exhaust valve is sticking slightly, try submerging the 2nd stage in water and breathing from it, it's likely it will stop. You mentioned you expected "smooth and effortless" exhalation, well if the exhalation does require any significant effort then there is something wrong with the exhaust valve. Don't let this situation put you off on the ST-1 it is an excellent regulator.

My T2 did it for the first couple of days when new. It stopped after about 8-10 dives. I can still make it do it if I just barely exhale in exactly the right position when it's dry.
I'm thinking of returning the ST1 in favor of something else...
After you dive it may change your mind...they're effortless breathers in any position.

I think just about all my regs have done this. Like others have mentioned, the DS & manufacturers both told me the same thing.....nothing to worry about as long as they don't start doing it underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom