Charter Prices Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GTADiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been calling arround regarding charter prices for next summer. Why is it that the prices in Kingston are basically the same as last year but in the St Lawrence river they are up a lot. Some of the charter operators on the river mentioned the "new" Transport Canada regulations. Well then why is Kingston the same rates as last year. Is there "new" regulations or are they simply being enforced after recent accidents on our waterways? Are the passenger carrying regulations not simply minimum regulations and if so does that mean that I should have sympathy for someone that has "cut corners" and gotten away with it for awhile? I admit I do not know all the issues on this but I want to hear both sides of the picture so please dont chew my head off for asking?

I know fuel and insurance and other costs go up which will force prices up, but how much will the market bear is the question.
Personnally I would go to Kingston if the rates were cheaper, I have not dove with all the operators on the St. Lawrence but on observation some would have to pay me to go on there boats.

I am trying to book tim eoff this summer to dive in the SLR. Whithout getting anyones back up, what operators would you suggest I 'get a busy signal' from when trying to book?

I rarely get out to enjoy a full weekend and I don't want a hassle or poor service. I also hate to hear operators bragging all weekend..It is MY relaxing weekend... not theirs.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think its obvious that the Kingston operators would travel more thereby use more fuel. I think all the guys in Kingston run a class act.

Great..How about the river? Brockville to Gananoque area, I want to try the Keystorm again.

I live just outside of Brockville and have booked some charter time already for this coming summer. I can't say that I've seen any increase in price with the operators that I have recommened in the past. Luckily, I have my own boat so doing dives for 3 or 4 of us is fine from it, but once I get over that number a charter boat becomes an obvious choice. A dive to the Keystorm can be a really pain with all the regs and crap you have to go through, it could be possible that a charter to this wreck could see and increased cost to it.

As to new Transport Canada regs, I haven't heard anything about that.

Just in case you hadn't heard, Divers Down the TV show was in the Brockville area for a few days this past summer and is doing a show on it. It should screen on TSN in March. Here is a link so you can keep abreast of when it will be on.

http://www.diversdowntv.com/welcome.html

Almost without exception charter boat operators are weekend warriors. Running that boat is NOT their occupation.
I had a charter boat in Tobermory (anyone remember the Penguin - don't laugh?) for several years and I can tell you it is a frustrating experience. I don't doubt that most of the operators in Ontario are spending lots of time at their desk and with their accountant figuring out some way to make a buck. Even covering all the expenses would please many of them.
There are lots of charters in different areas (Long Point, Midland, Toby, etc) that charge under $75 for an all-day dive boat trip. That normally would allow 3 dives or more and often includes a lunch. Very few dive charters in similar dive spots (North Carolina, Hatteras, BC, etc) will take you for less than $100 US. That's double what we pay now!!
I don't like the idea of prices going up but, as GTA and eagleray have said, there are increases in costs that cannot be avoided, plus I want the boat I'm on to be in perfect running condition and with all the equipment needed to handle any eventuality.
No I don't want to be ripped off but, I don't begrudge the operators making a buck! If they don't, the logical result is firstly a cut back in the quality of service (safety) as he tries to stay in business and then a sale of the boat to an new, inexperienced operator or removal from service. None of these are acceptable from a diver's safety point of view.

taz22 once bubbled...

Just in case you hadn't heard, Divers Down the TV show was in the Brockville area for a few days this past summer and is doing a show on it. It should screen on TSN in March. Here is a link so you can keep abreast of when it will be on.

http://www.diversdowntv.com/welcome.html

and I didn't see any references to TSN.....Only NESN...Any thoughts?...I have never seen this program (at least I don't remember)...Looks like a good one......

NESN has worked out an arrangement with TSN and/or The Outdoor Life network to show this one in Canada since it is the St. Lawrence they will be promoting.

the first showing is actually going to be a special screening before it hits the airwaves at the Brockville Arts Centre. A couple of our local instructors and charter operators has been informed by Divers Down that they will send an advanced copy of in appreciation of spending the four days with them. The Brockville Chamber has been notified and has agreeded to foot the bill for renting the Arts Centre.

As soon as I find out when this will take place I'll post it on this board as a different thread. Maybe we could make this an official OFWF dinner and movie event in this neck of the woods. I'd be happy to work something out.

If anyone has any ideas or wants further info feel free to pm me.

Cheers!!

I HAVE BOOKED SEVERAL DAYS WITH ABOVE AND BELOW OUT OF MALLORY LANDING. I HAVE TO BELIEVE THAT MUCH OF THEIR INCREASE IS DO TO FUEL AND POSSIBLITY OF HAVING TO RUN TO HART ISLAND TO DIVE U.S. WATERS. STILL A GREAT DEAL IF YOU BOOK THE WHOLE BOAT.
HAS THE COAST GUARD OPENED UP THE JODREY FOR DIVING AGAIN

Back
Top Bottom