Unalaska Church of Scuba Pics - 1/13/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandon

Shop Independent Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm going to start trying to post pics every week or so for our Church of Scuba dives we do nearly every Sunday here in Unalaska / Dutch Harbor. Might be a challenge... I don't take many underwater photos, but someone has been dragging a camera (digital still or video) recently, so hopefully I can find stuff to add!

Anyhoo, this Sunday was particularly interesting. It's been COLD here recently, with above water temps in the mid 30s, and water temps around 35 - 36f. This past weekend it decided to get even colder, and the water dropped down to 32-34f on Sunday.

I don't have the underwater pictures or video from the buddies yet, but figured I'd post some of the topside pics from my dry camera. I should have known something would go wrong, being that it was the 13th of the month - the weather was pretty ugly on our way out to the dive site, but the water was fairly calm. By time we exited, it was a full blown blizzard with winds gusting to 50mph. I had to go to work, but a few other divers just had to have some under the ice video, so they went back out for a second dive. I watched them from work and sipped hot cocoa...

Here's the pics I have so far:

Entry for the first dive:

Entry for the second dive:

Me doing my best "I'm freezing my ass off Aleutian Islands style Shaka" with my suit pumped full of air in a desperate attempt to get warm :):

More pics and video coming soon.

-B.

Excellent idea Brandon! You Aleutian Folks can post pics from out west, BD, DP, and I can do southeast (well, Ketchikan anyway) and maybe someone can post pics from southcentral?
Cool entry spots...literally. Reminds of my days jumping into St. Paul Harbor in the Pribilofs with a hacksaw:D Do you Unalaska divers get visited by sea lions and fur seals?

Can someone post some recent pics from Whittier/Seward/Valdez/Homer???

Poog:coffee:

Flickr: Photos from poogweese2002

Interesting photos. Please keep them coming. The Aleutians/Bering Sea is the one part of the state that I have yet to visit (hopefully to be rectified soon) and the pics help put things into context. (I finally had a chance to dive and visit southeast while aboard the Nautilus Explorer this past summer.) I would volunteer to put up photos of southcentral, but find that I have no talent for photography, writing being my craft. Makes me all the more appreciative of those who do have the talent.

Pics from the last few days, courtesy of FlowerPecker:

dsc0377axb7.jpg

dsc0343azx0.jpg

dsc0362aer1.jpg

dsc0382aca0.jpg

And I thought La Paz was too cold in June...I'd never survive those temps !!

Pics are great, tho - ThX for sharing.

Geeze, the Aleutians are brutal, excellent proof there, great shots.

…as an Alaskan kiddo I wanted to learn to dive, LOL put it off until living in HI. No idea how you guys do it there. :shakehead: :lotsalove:More power to ya.

That looks COOOOOOLD!!!

Haven't posted here in awhile, as I haven't taken many great pictures lately... but I'll be in the water this weekend, so maybe you'll see some here in a SE thread!

Im still looking for dive buddies in Homer so I can post some pics. I tried to drag my gear to Adak two summers ago but was unable to find out if the FD air compressor was working. It is and if I go back this summer I'll get some way out west pics up too.
Thanks for sharing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom