PDA

View Full Version : What to wear under wetsuit?

ScubaKev
June 28th, 2001, 10:23 PM
Hi Everyone.

I'm just starting my certification classes and hope this doesn't sound to dumb. I've read alot of the posts here that say wetsuits should fit very tight to your body for best heat retention. How does one deal with swim trunks bunching up under the wetsuit?? Do most folks just wear nothing or is this a dive etiquet no no?? Thanks in advance for helping a Rookie get the hang of things.

TwoBitTxn
June 28th, 2001, 10:54 PM
Welcome to scuba diving and the board kev....

I've been diving a awhile and the most comfortable thing I have found to wear under my wet suit is biker shorts. They fit kinda tight, they don't bunch up, and they are comfortable. Bare under your Bare???? I dunno.. I guess you could, not me though. Mines a front zip. Hair in the zipper.... eyouch :eek:

rcohn
June 28th, 2001, 10:59 PM
I wear a bathing suit, but a few of the freedivers I know wear nothing. I've never seen or heard of a scuba diver who doesn't weat shorts or a suit.

Ralph

Iguana Don
June 28th, 2001, 11:09 PM
Go commando, not on your life, I wear a Speedo. And no I don't wear it alone in pubic......er public.

ID

TexasMike
June 29th, 2001, 02:24 AM
Found some black lycra work out shorts similar to bike shorts but without the crotch padding on sale at Oshmans. These seem to work okay and don't bunch up.

turnerjd
June 29th, 2001, 03:01 AM
under my 3mm poolsuit I go commando.

I tried all sorts of shorts etc.. and found it to be too uncomfortable.

Jon T

greg somers
June 30th, 2001, 11:42 AM
They're like speedos but more attractive.NO...they are not 'Y' fronts.No self respecting diver my way would wear 'speedos'. I couldn't imagine going 'buck'.Oooo... the chaffing.Besides,I need support for my heavy load..heheheh.
By the way...all you speedo wearers....where do you hide your big gold medallions with your star signs?
Hahahahahahaha!
There can be only one.
The Gasman.

Gaucho
July 23rd, 2001, 01:46 PM
The best combination IMO are the Speedo's that have a boxer short cut. They are made of a lycra like material so they fit snug and dont interfere with the wet suit.

Greg G.
July 23rd, 2001, 09:59 PM

Starfish
July 24th, 2001, 11:14 AM
My husband wears the medium Speedo, not the tiny ones, and a Lycra Suit.

kwesler
July 29th, 2001, 01:24 PM
I bought a couple a suits from International Male web site. Lots of choices on size and degree of tightness

jimbo
July 29th, 2001, 03:35 PM
I go with the boxer cut racing (TYR) swimsuit from my swim bag. It's lycra and nylon so it's pretty easy to get the wet suit off.

large_diver
July 30th, 2001, 02:19 PM
I wear a fairly baggy pair of swim trunks -- Can't say that I've ever noticed them bothering me. I wear a farmer john/jacket -- once I get my legs into the "john" (and before pulling it up over my shoulders), I try and push the legs of the shorts as far down as I can.

If you are comfortable once you get the wet suit on, you'll be fine. The tightness of the suit will keep the suit from moving around much.

randyjoy
July 31st, 2001, 01:58 AM
Lycra workout shorts - they also dry very fast; sometimes .5 mil skin over them (I burn too easy, I need SPF 5000).

jobowker
July 31st, 2001, 02:03 PM
I've seen a few people go commando, but I don't recommend it, even without lunging. I wear a regular swimsuit that bunches up, so I have to pull the legs down after pulling up the legs of my wetsuit, or lycra biker shorts. You'll see a few people wearing shorts under wetsuits that they normally wouldn't wear.

sky50960
July 31st, 2001, 04:47 PM
I girl friend of mine wears a STRING.
Wel yes it is true she schowed to mee...
Boys or giels try it.

Ari
November 27th, 2001, 09:50 AM
I am wearing a Speedo and have no real problems with getting in or out of the suit or anything becoming too loose.

Ari

luvdiving
November 27th, 2001, 10:05 AM
I usually wear a pair of nylon runners shorts under my 3mm wetsuit. But in a pinch, I have gone with nothing (under my wetsuit) if I have taken the shorts home to wash and forgotten them.:boom:

Warhammer
November 27th, 2001, 12:07 PM
LOL!! How did I miss this one? Don in Speedos, LOL! I bet you get some real strange looks when you peel the Leopard print off only to reveal the Tiger print speedos, LOL! :eek:

I wear swim shorts myself.

daisho
January 18th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Well at this point I dive dry but a few people I know go commando. Then then proceed to do a funny dance with a towel around them after the dive. I don't know the exact dance step since I really wasn't interested in watching ;)

Bob
January 18th, 2002, 10:32 PM
I wear those black lycra stretch shorts as underwear, and a diveskin over that. The wetsuit slides on and off real easy with the diveskin. Now, when you take the wetsuit off, during the surface interval, (if it's warm enough) all you do is slip on a pair of shorts and a Tee shirt and you're dressed. When the days diving is over, and the wetsuit and diveskin come off, all you have to do is to slip those shorts and shirt back on and you're ready to go. Best I can come up with. :tree:Bob

reddog
January 28th, 2002, 11:35 PM
I always wear swim trunks under my 3mil, which seem to work well and don't cause any commotion on the dive boat. Recently picked up a skin suit, which gives me a bit of added warmth for diving up north (i.e. Florida) and the wet suit slides right over it.

Aquamore
February 6th, 2002, 02:13 PM
.......what's worn underneath my Dry-suit.

Just to put the record straight and for the avoidance of doubt because of the rumours that my wife started....

THERE IS NOTHING WORN...............

it's all in perfect working order!
:D
Aquamore

Ari
February 6th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Keep it coming.

Ari :D

scuba-sass
February 6th, 2002, 05:38 PM
We've finally found an area of scuba where we have a decided advantage!

No one laughs at us when we wear our Speedo suits!

No fuss, no muss, no bunching!

Happy Diving,

Scuba-sass :-)

Aquamore
February 7th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Nice looking bike on your profile by the way:mean:
Cool
Aquamore

Ari
February 7th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Just like my wife. She is from Alphen a/d Ryn.

The bike is a Niko Bakker QCS. I bought it from the man Niko Himself.

Ari :D

carlislere
February 7th, 2002, 10:41 AM
A speedo works well for me.

Aquamore
February 7th, 2002, 02:17 PM
It's a small world, so both the Bike and the wife are Dutch!

You have good taste!

Aquamore
:D

Ari
February 7th, 2002, 03:48 PM
I like both the wife and the bike very much, though not in the same way.

I spend a lot of time in Holland, as all of my wife's and bike's families live there. What a great country.

Have you been to our part of the world?

Ari :)

Aquamore
February 8th, 2002, 10:28 AM
I am actually British, but I've bought a Villa here in Holland because I love the country and the people so much!

The nearest I have been to you is the Siani peninsular on a 2 day trip from Ras Mohammad Northwards to where Egypt, Jordan, Israel and Saudi start to converge on the Red sea.

It was a while ago but it was a memorable first ever dive with dolphins! My wife and I will get there one day hence my earlier questions about what your favorite dive sites in the area are!

Look us up when you next visit Holland.

Aquamore

JamesK
February 10th, 2002, 03:38 PM
I wear a pair of Reebok biker shorts, and a set of Henderson Skins.

ebbtide
February 15th, 2002, 11:42 AM
what to wear has been that age old problem for me i go commando but it all depends on where you are and how you feal about yourself.
but also you dont wanna pop out of the water and get Charged for Indecent Exposure out of your Exposure suit haha ,
but go with what ever you feal comfortable with ;)

bottom_sucker
February 16th, 2002, 10:50 AM
I wear boxer style swim trunks and a full length lycra suit then my 7mil over that. Just need to make sure the legs of the trunks get smoothed out under the lycra, pulling on the wetsuit does not cause the trunks to bunch up.

Welcome to the board, this is the place to get answers to questions like this. Lots of information in the different categories already been posted.

Dave

Aquamore
March 1st, 2002, 02:23 PM
I wear wooden clogs, tulips and a windmill (no cheese except my smile):D
Aquamore

JamesK
March 5th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Aquamore
I wear wooden clogs, tulips and a windmill (no cheese except my smile):D
Aquamore

LOL. I just met a diver from Holland the other day. She is a friend of the group I dive with, and stopped by the states on her way to Mexico. We were discussing (definintion - laughing at) the whole wooden clogs, tulips, and windmill thing. :D

Aquamore
March 6th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Hi Big James

It really is a small world, My son-in-law and daughter are living in in Atlanta too!

They are currently at Fort Gordon but will move to NC in June.

Aquamore

tflyhigh
August 7th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I have found compression Shorts to work best for me.

b1gcountry
August 7th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Speedo makes a tight fitting "shorts" style suit. I also have an underarmour set of briefs that is very similar. Basically biker shorts without the nice fit, and without the padding.

Tom

Gombessa
August 7th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I wear board shorts. It does bunch up but it really doesn't bother me. If it did I'd probably try something else. So in the end, whatever is comfortable for you.

drbill
August 7th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Since the wetsuits I wear are "holy," I find it necessary to make sure I have a very intact bathing suit on underneath them. I wouldn't want to scare off too many of the fish... or the ladies, either.

bdshort
August 9th, 2008, 09:06 AM
The boxer/brief style speedos... mine are black with a lightning print on the side of the legs. Very cool!

Joe Cool
August 9th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I use swim shorts. However, biking shorts are a good idea.

scubasohn
June 10th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Compression short are the only way to go. You can get expensive ones like Under Armor, but I just pick up a pair at Wal-Mart for about $14. I use them for running too.

SaltyPirateBastard
June 10th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Compression shorts. Speedo. Nekked.

All work well.

rongoodman
June 11th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Speedo, one with the longer legs.

flyboy107@gmail.com
April 1st, 2012, 05:38 PM
Im a runner, and when i run i wear a pair of Under Armour compression shorts, tried wearing them under my wetsuit once, and it was perfect.

Hope this helps

SC_Hoaty
April 1st, 2012, 05:59 PM

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1