Do you de-tune your backup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
After much reading I have decided to give the 5' primary and bungee backup for exclusive OW diving a try. I read one post that said you have to de-tune the backup reg to prevent surface free flow. I use the same regs, Micra ADJ, for both primary and backup.

Do I need to de-tune the backup? how does one do this? what does it entail? Does it affect the regs performance?

My reason for getting two Micra ADJs was so I would also be breathing from a reasonable reg should an OOA or primary malfunction occur.

Thanks in advance.:wink:

(Oh and Ive read some not so nice reply posts to genuine questions asked:shakehead: so if youve got nothing constructive to say please ignore. Thanks)

If they are adjustable, I would just spin the adjuster knob to make it as stiff breathing as possible. I have Zeagle ZX second stages and with my bungee'd reg, I just turn the adjuster all the way down and flip the venturi "closed" so to speak, and I've never had a freeflow doing that.

WIth a non adjustabel reg I am not a believer in detuning the backup as it should offer performance equal to your primary. And in the bungee necklace location it is not going to freeflow unobserved.

Adjustable flow vanes are nice to avoid freeflows on entry etc, and if a second stage is equipped with one it is worth using.

With an adjustable second stage none of this is an issue. Just turn the adjustment knob in a couple turns on the backup. It will deliver gas when needed but can be quickly detuned for maximum performance.

Same advice as above. However, I do change the tuning (on an adjustable reg.) making it slightly easier to breathe when I do my obligatory "check everything" when I get to my first diving pause (typically at the starting point of the dive @ the bottom). Personally, if I am in an OOA with OC I want things to be a tad easier because there is a chance I'll be wanting that gas in a hurry.

X

Short answer is "no."
I suppose if I ever get a scooter I may reconsider.
To your specific situation, since the ADJ is adjustable, see Jimmer's post above...
Rick

If they are adjustable, I would just spin the adjuster knob to make it as stiff breathing as possible. I have Zeagle ZX second stages and with my bungee'd reg, I just turn the adjuster all the way down and flip the venturi "closed" so to speak, and I've never had a freeflow doing that.

Yes they are adjustable so I can do as you suggest, thanks.

and to all the others thank you for all your helpful responses, I appreciate the info, makes sense....Cheers...

There seems to be so much I dont know...oh well live and learn...

My regs have the detunable knob on the 2nd stage, but I like to leave mine open (I open it wide during descent). We do OOG drills all the time, and I've found that when I'm dealing with this kind of issue, I want to pop a reg into my mouth that is as easy to breath as the one I had, so I can focus on the task and not increase an already stressful situation by either having to deal with the knob, or having to work harder to get gas. YMMV

If your regs are set up and maintained correctly then free flows should not be common. A manual knob on the reg can be dialed down (and back up if needed), but I personally would not change the internal settings on my regs.

Back
Top Bottom