What are your Favorite Dive Sites in the Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joyfulsun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone.

Can you please list your Favorite or Must dive sites in the Red Sea. We are planning to go in June and can't decide if we should dive the Sharm area or go further down south to Marsa Alam. Where should we go to see sharks and rays? Do the dive sites in the Sharm area still teem with sharks or have they been scared away? Thanks.

Favorite dive sites depend on one's preference so, for instance, you can't count on mine :)

If you want to see sharks and rays in June then head south. It's even better to take a liveaboard the Brothers. If you prefer land based vacations, then make sure to include Elphinstone in your list.

Thanks for the advice to head down south Asser, but can you list your fave dive spots as well .. with or without sharks!

BTW, I read somewhere that June is a good time to see sharks around the Sharm / northern area as they move up from the south, any truth to this?

My personal preference is Dahab, Abu Galoum, then Ras Mohamed.

Normally sharks move when it's too hot. For instance, they move from the Sudanese waters to the southern Egyptian waters mid May. The highest probability to see different types of sharks year-round is in the Brothers.

You might find some sharks in Sharm during June. Last May I saw whitetips in Ras Mohamed.

Finally, my recommendation to anyone visiting Egypt for the first time is to try Sinai (Dahab and Sharm).

Late June should be good off Ras Mohammed. I have been the last three years in July and we've always had loads of large shoals of fish, including 800-1,000 barracuda, and large blacktips circling them. Got a tiger once as well.

Otherwise, Brothers and Daedalous are a good bet for grey reef and hammerhead sharks.

Elphinstone is good if the oceanic whitetips turn up, otherwise it is a shadow of its former self. Far too many boats these days.

Mark

Definetly Dahab, for both diving and some chill out at the end of the day. Especially, if You go just before high seasons. Plenty of diving centers, lots of restaurants with good and inexpensive food, some nice hotels. Quiet and relaxing, even for non-divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom