Poseidon Jetstream vs Cyclon 5000 for secondary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thadmn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have two Poseidon regulators, cyclon 5000 long hose, and Jetstream/Odin with a short hose. Both first stages apear to be the same. My plan is to use the Jetstream as the secondary since it has the +/- switch to prevcent freeflow. I haven't had a chance to try out the Jetstream yet, I hear they're nice. I have been happy with the Cyclon so far, but it has free flowed when jarred (ie tripping when knocked over by waves). This seems like the logical choice to me, but I would be interested in what others have to say.-----------Thanks

If it were me, I'd use whichever one I liked better as my primary. Go dive the Jetstream, if you like it more than the Cyclon, use it.

Although the 1st stages look identical, the intermediate pressures that the second stages should operate at are much different. The Jetstream should be around 148-151 psi, and the Cyclon arond 174-180 psi. if you put both on a single 1st stage, one or the other or both will suffer performance-wise.

If you are using doubles, disregard all the above... the "-" switch on the Jetstream would likely make it the more natural choice for a backup in that scenario.

Thanks for your advice. I will primarily be using them for doubles. I wasn't aware of the different intermediate pressures. I'll be sure to keep the 1st and 2nd stages together as matched sets rather than just swapping 2nd stages in the field. I will also review the service manuals.

So far I really like the Poseidon Cyclon. I've wanted one since 1978. I have no more worries of free flows in cold water of Superior.

Back
Top Bottom