Savannah, Georgia dive charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saltwater Junky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any recommendations for a dive charter service out of Savannah, GA? Is the viz better off of Charleston or Savannah?

I would say it's all the same once you get 20 miles out. We dive some closer spots but with our shelf you have to go about 20 mi. to get 60' or deeper.

I'll keep an eye on this thread. Going to be in the area a couple of times this year. I'd be interested in getting some SC diving info.

Thank you SSFlounder. Do you know where I may find a listing of the dive sites off GA and SC?

I've dove most of the artificial wrecks around Beaufort, Hilton Head, and Edisto. Look for SCDNR and GADNR for artificial wreck/reef sites.

I dove with Catp. Walt out of Savanah this past summe and highly recomend him and his company.
They dive a Boston Whaler set up for scuba, and only will take out 6 to 8 divers at a time.
Here is a link,
: : Mako Dive Charter : :

Jim Breslin

How's the diving off of GA and SC? Is there a better time of the year 20+ ft viz?

Yes, we had about 20-30 feet last Sun. however, the sun wasn't out. If it was we'd have had about 50'-70'. Nearshore within 20miles usually depends on the moon phase and tide flow. However, if you plan to get in at ebb it usually isn't that bad even closer to spring. I've noticed when storms or big offshore swells and waves roll through it usually silts up pretty good. 2 weeks ago I had 10' vis looking for teeth without my light so it all depends really. If we plan diving nearshore I look at the wave predictions and all relative bouy data. I use this link National Weather Service - Carolinas Coast You can find out surface and bottom currents, wave periods.

You've been quite helpful and very informative. I've check out the links and DNR websites. Now, I have to plan my dive. I didn't know I'd have to get a school of hard knocks degree in Oceanic Weather. It is a shame that GA and SC DNRs do not have more helpful information regarding diving off the coast. I would love to see our states promote scuba diving tourism as well as our history.

Do the dive charters in your area charge per person or by the boat?

Thanks again ssflounder.

I don't know of any dive charters that operate in the lowcountry. They're are a few out of Chas. but they quit going around Aug/Sept. when the vis starts clearing up. The few of us that dive around here go out on our boats.

Back
Top Bottom