Dive Boat Camera Protocol/Etiquette Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InkDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm heading down to Key Largo for a long weekend of diving next week. So far, I've only had the opportunity to bring my camera to the springs I've been diving (Nikon D200/Ikelite housing/Ikelite Strobe). This is all in a large Pelican Case (I think a 1620)

At the srpings, you just set the camera up, and walk down to the whole in the ground and submerge. But I'm wondering how you handle it on a dive charter. Do you lug the whole Pelican case on with you, or do you set the camera up before boarding and have it ready to go when you get on the boat, leaving the case at the car?

I don't want to go there and end up being "that guy" if you know what I mean.

Thanks for any info.

Set up your camera before you board. That avoids the necessity of building your equipment on a bouncing boat, and saves space.

You'll still be known as "that guy" though. :D

I set mine up before I go on the boat. You can use the camera rinse tub provided by teh boat, or provide your own. This is what I do. There is too much risk in the community camera rinse. I guess this makes me "that guy" too.

I also set up the camera before I go on the boat; however, sometimes I also carry a small waterproof container that holds extra batteries and digital cards that I switch between dives if necessary. Just be sure that if you open you housing on the boat to keep it away from everyone so that you don't accidently get water or other crud on the camera or housing while changing cards or batteries. Also, if you open your housing make sure to check the o-ring carefully to ensure that it will seal properly again before closing the housing. If the boat has a fresh water camera rinse bucket I would also check out the camera by putting it in the bucket before the next dive to ensure that there are no leaks.

Regards,

Bill

Yup, me four. Set up before I head to the boat.

I have a milk crate with a foam insert on the bottom. I put a big towel in it, stick the camear gear in, layer the towel over so nothing can get bumped or scratched and I'm done. This is the perfect size for most of the boats I dive on and can fit under the seat on a couple, too. It's about half the size of a dive box.

I also have a soft sided cooler - one of the bigger ones you get a walmart or target etc. My dlsr rig including strobes fits inside with a little creative thinking. This is what I took with me on the boat in Cocos coz it wasn't roomy at all. Acts as a buffer, keeps the camera even temperature and becomes a mini rinse bucket. Plus being able to put the strap over my shoulder to free my hands was great.

I also try to make sure I get my seat at the exit point of the boat. I don't have to drag my rig through a whole host of people that way. The downside is you have to make sure that your rig is completely out of the way. Other divers are not 100% aware of your rig all the time and might trip over something, knock your rig, drop something on it, stand on it, lean on it, etc. Cameras do not belong on seats. IMHO they belong under the seat where possible and definitely out of any walk paths/areas.

I wouldn't use the communal rinse tank for more than a quick dunk. I don't let go and I don't walk away. 1) it's courteous so the next guy can use it and 2) there's just too much that can happen in one to risk it. And many divers will rinse their masks in the camera bucket - some people freak out about this, I don't personally, but it's something to consider.

I second the soft sided cooler as a photo gear hauler.

I half way pre-assemble my gear (camera in housing with fresh batteries empty chip) before I board the boat, but still finally affix strobe arms and such while on the boat.

Between dives, be sure to not drip water from forehead or wet suit arms while changing batteries/chips. dry everything including yourself off.......

I don't like having my big rig with strobes and arms bouncing around in a central rinse tank with a bunch of point and shoots I do a quick rinse, then back into my soft sided bag for the ride home to the dock.

I also have a soft sided cooler - one of the bigger ones you get a walmart or target etc. My dlsr rig including strobes fits inside with a little creative thinking. This is what I took with me on the boat in Cocos coz it wasn't roomy at all. Acts as a buffer, keeps the camera even temperature and becomes a mini rinse bucket. Plus being able to put the strap over my shoulder to free my hands was great.

Alcina, what are you shooting now? Just wondering if my bulky great Ike rig and 5D might also fit.

Got a fair bit of travelling coming up this year and would like to get it right - your cooler bag sounds very sensible...

Larry, check some of the shops along the pier in Sai Kung. Give me a holler if you have found one. I still haven't come across a "large" soft sided cooler like the one's they have in the US that would fit a fully kitted DSLR. For local dives, I use one of those large plastic storage boxes with tops that lock with some bubble wrap inside.

I bring my gear on fully assemble and ready to go. I try to store my camera inside the cabin as far to the front of the boat (less people) as possible in a soft cooler bag. Inbetween dives I don't worry about rinsing.

Also always ensure the helper of the boat knows how to set my rig on the deck when you hand it off to him. Too many times I have see them try to place it in a lens down position (even with a dome port on) or try to grab one of the sync cables.

Finally your camera is your responsibility. Cameras are fragile gear mixed among a crappy environment with many times unfit divers that are unable to keep/maintain there balance. They sometimes tend to be tired and care about nothing other then getting the gear off no matter what is in the way.

Back
Top Bottom