Maui/other than diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We will be on Maui for 7 days in April, what other activities should I not miss. I plan on diving for 4 days, this leaves us 2 whole days and afternoons to sight see or hike or explore. What would you suggest we not miss on Maui.

Thanks!

The Road to Hana is supposed to be very scenic, but I've heard that the traffic can really slow you down. Best to leave for the drive no later than 8:00 am. Also, the Zip Lines are fun but cost around $38.00 or so for a 35-second ride. I'm thinking about giving that a go when we get there on Jan. 25th.

I haven't gone to Hana, but have heard the same - and that it's more about the journey than the destination, so no need to drive all the way to Hana. If I get back there I'd do that.

For a similar drive/scenery to the Hana road, but much shorter try the road around the West Maui mountains ... the road is not as nice as the Hana Hwy, but it only takes 2 hrs and you see much the same scenery, though not near as much rainforest or waterfalls.

Haleakala is definitely at the top of my list, both Sunrise and Sunset are beautiful. If you go up for sunset be sure to turn your back to the sun and watch the shadows the setting sun casts of the mountain in the clouds - then hang around for it to get dark as this is one of THE best star gazing places in the world (there is a reason for all those observatories being up there - lol). If you go up for sunrise, do it your first morning while Jet lag is still working in your favor and go up early enough that you can see the stars, then watch the sky change from black to orange and red etc.. Plus doing it your first morning it doesn't get in the way of the "no fly/altitude" rules following diving.

If you enjoy history there is a very enjoyable walking tour of Lahaina (maps are free and available all over town) and don't miss out the printing house at Lahainaluna high school (part of the walking tour most folks miss) where you can view old maps, primers, Bibles and newspapers that were printed here. Remember that this was home of the first newpaper west of the rocky mountains... so it makes a nice place to stop for history buffs.

The drive thru the lava fields of South Maui is also a nice drive (heading toward LaPerouse bay) and there is some nice diving out that way as well, so you can combine a couple things at once.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Hana is a great trip too, I plan on 10 hrs to do it justice, take your time and enjoy the rain ... that's why there are waterfalls and rainbows out there :wink: ... oh and that's also why it's a "rain" forest :)

Hey Kidspot, are they still showing local art in the old court house by the banyon tree in Lahaina? That can be interesting.

My wife also really enjoys the local art fair in the lot across from the old sugar factory where the Maui Coffee Company moved in.

Best meal in Maui for under $300 a plate is the Aloha Mixed Plate behind the Cannery mall in Lahaina. You get beach front seating (complete with bird droppings), the same food as the Old Lahaina Lauau and VERY reasonable prices compaired to all the other food joints in Maui.

Aloha,

Mudd

Two days huh? What else do you like to do? Road tripping here is a favorite past time. Good advice has already been supplied by the other posters. We have great golf courses, the surfing can be fun, tons of fantastic restaurants too. Maui has it all. Don't forget to give yourself a day to do pretty much nothing. Remember...it's a vacation!!!

yup - the courthouse is still a gallery.

Aloha mixed Plate is ok, but my favorite is Kaanapali Beach Hotel Mixed plate :) Especially on Friday (Hawaiian food day) - Best Poi I've ever had :p

Aloha, Tim

Hey Kidspot, are they still showing local art in the old court house by the banyon tree in Lahaina? That can be interesting.

My wife also really enjoys the local art fair in the lot across from the old sugar factory where the Maui Coffee Company moved in.

Best meal in Maui for under $300 a plate is the Aloha Mixed Plate behind the Cannery mall in Lahaina. You get beach front seating (complete with bird droppings), the same food as the Old Lahaina Lauau and VERY reasonable prices compaired to all the other food joints in Maui.

Aloha,

Mudd

I really enjoyed Hana, not just the journey but being there. Year before last we spent 2 nights there in a B&B, right on a black sand beach, very relaxing. There are some cool hikes around there that most of the daytrippers miss. when we go back this fall we'll probably go back for at least one night to "get away from it all"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom