Help on risk to camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

night729

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have just gotten a new Canon A650 plus the canon case and love it before i have even gotten in the water! :eyebrow: for it and was wondering how to attach it to my BC. How do most people do it, or do you just hang on to it? In the picture it shows the clasp mechanism, you have to slide the little yellow piece over before the latch can be released. I was just wondering if the ring where it is attached would prove a risk of flooding. There is additional attachment on the other side, but it gets in the way of my hands.
Thanks for any feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0607.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 39
I would just check to see if you can cause the latch to open with some gentle tugging and maneuvering of the lanyard. BTW, Keep in mind that most housings are slightly positive when you get in the water. So if you have this thing attached to a lanyard it will likely float up in your face. There are some housing weights which could make it negative. (first camera I ever dived with ended up wrapped around my first stage. I literally had to remove the reg to get it untangled. Most cameras without strobes are usually just attached via the wrist strap.

Can't comment on the location, but there should be a point on the housing designed for a lanyard. I would not attach to any place but that.

I bought a universal Jet Ski kill switch lanyard and just cut off all the keys. Then attached snap bolts to each end. You can just make out the red on my right side in this pick. Its long enough if I drop the rig it will fall just past my fins. If a problem arises you bet I will put someones life before my rig, however if possible I would not like to leave a few grand on the bottom. And not all rigs will be positive. My rig is very negative as it stands now, need to adjust it. I find its best to have it just a little negative for shooting.

TimDSLR.jpg

I prefer to hold it with a lanyard attached to my wrist in case I drop it.

I don't like the idea of it dangling because, guarenteed, you will swoop over a rock in hi current and the port lens will get a nice big scratch right int he middle of the frame.

And it looks uncool.

Z...

I have heard of people losing their cameras off their wrists in current which is why I don't rely on that method. I have a Canon P&S which is highly positive when I don't have a strobe attached.

My housing has a connection point just below the clasp as yours does. But rather than attach it with s ring as your picture shows I have doubled a short lanyard through the attachment point and that is attached to a retractable on my BCD. BUT I always dive with my camera in my hand and only rely on the attachment as a back-up for when I, or my buddy, requires both hands - that happens from time to time and is the absolute best reason for having the camera attached.

Cheers

Alison

Most people I know who dive with P & S cameras use a coiled lanyard. The one I use clips together so when you're not using the camera, it's close to your BC. I took my wrist lanyard off almost instantly. It was a big pain, and the little ball that kept it from sliding through the hole would try to wedge itself in the housing when I closed it. A couple of times the knot actually did. Fortunately I caught it in time. If you like the wrist loop, you can hold it to the coiled lanyard with a boltsnap.

Pictures weren't up when I first posted this. The set-up you've got is very similar to what most people use. Almost like mine. Should work fine. One note-if you're boat diving, don't jump in the water with it. Have someone hand it down and then clip it on.

I keep mine connected via a coiled lanyard. The Clip kind like Larry said. on descents, at times, I let it hang if I am busy trying to clear my ears while dumping air...once I'm down, I unclip it so I can use it at arm's length (Its a PnS....with a strobe and heavy base/handle).

I have been in very heavy current whereby I had to use both hands to hang in place on rocks and pull myself into sheltered spots....been flapping like a flag on a pole in serious currents during safety stops hanging onto a rope with both hands.....Some of these times, I have had to have both hands free to help. A camera on my wrist would/could have gotten in the way. As much as I would have rather held the camera close to me and lower my profile, I absolutely had to use both hands (unhindered)...In one case, it was to hang on to a panicked diver to prevent her from being dragged out into the blue and into downcurrents....(Very unpredictable at times at Sipadan's Barracuda Point for example). During these times, my camera was dangling and the arms (Ultralight Ball joint) pushed/folded flat from the current. Never though was I worried about losing my baby and I was free to concentrate on dive conditions/issues at hand.

I am sure that if I had it on my wrist, it would have certainly smashed to bits against the rocks as I was hanging on clawing my way to safety...Having said that, I never let go of my camera and let it dangle unless I really need to. Its held close against my chest ready for that next shot....I am sure its the same for everyone...

With both my old Oly5050 and my new dSLR, I always clip it onto a D ring with a retractor. I had a friend who was diving with a wrist lanyard on Platform Grace off of the Carpinteria coast, only to have it spiral into the depths after it slipped off of his wrist. Grace is in 340ft of water. It might as well been infinite.

Most cameras without strobes are usually just attached via the wrist strap.

I think I should have thought this through a little better before typing. I don't like the fact the photo shows two hard rings attached to a lanyard. The metal ring close to the latch could cause problems. Using the provided wrist strap attached to the location on the housing designed for attachment, you could then attach the wrist strap to a lanyard and then Dring. The P&S's with OEM housings that I've been associated with have been positively bouyant. Some provide a counterweight to adjust for this. If you have a base or external strobes chances are its slightly (.5-2lbs) negative.

Thanks a lot for the advice, I have now modified it so that there is a piece of cord attached to the case.
IMG_0609.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom