Technical Awareness Day Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Technical Awareness day was a success despite the foolish weather yesterday. As I was driving to the shop my mother told me there were large flakes of snow falling and collecting a few miles north. I thought I could see some slush on my windshield but by the time I got the car unloaded snow came down thick and heavy. I have spent my time in Germany and Illinois in the winters and see absolutely nothing beautiful about snow. It did, however, make inside the pool room feel even more warm and tropical. Here is a link to some snapshots of the fun:

Photo Albums: Adventure Sports Tech Day - Contents

We had exhibits of underwater video and photography – some fossil and artifacts that came from local waters – and a variety of big folk’s toys that divers tried out in the comfort and safety of the pool. Highlight of the day was the hardhat rig that Bill from ALDOT brought. I have some hilarious video of divers using the various toys underwater but have to translate it to digital. Maybe I’ll put it on U-Tube.

Dive Rite sent some dry suits including the new front zip model. May-May tried on an extra large and appeared to be haute couture when she came out saggin’ and stylin’.

We had an antique double hose regulator complete with vintage fins, tank, and mask. Everyone had fun trying it out and the first thing they remarked is “How wonderful emerging technology is.” We probably should have sent in for a PADI specialty on suck starting a Caterpillar.

Another big hit was the back plate and wings from Deep Sea Supply. I tried them out and was greatly impressed at the ease of trim. I lay horizontal in the water with little effort. They are a great line of gear from a guy who is a technical diver and an inventive genius.

We had about fifty folks show up throughout the day and each one of them ooh’ed and ahh’ed and salivated over the neat stuff.

In our effort to have an activity for divers every month we’ll do stuff like this again.

Back
Top Bottom