Help with reg choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DVW1726

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Scubapro mk25/600s and the Atomic B2 or ST1. I dive both warm and cold water down to 40F. Which one would be more versitile?

I just bought the S600\Mk25 great reg i have about 6 dives on it all between 85 and 100 ft warm water exceptional performance love the reg

I'm looking at the Scubapro mk25/600s and the Atomic B2 or ST1. I dive both warm and cold water down to 40F. Which one would be more versitile?

I like Scuba pro But the B2 would be a good choice also.
If your not stuck on piston reg ,why not go with the scuba pro MK 17/S600 it is trully a good cold water reg .
It also has a dry chamber that keeps sediment out of the first stage.
Does very well in warm water also.
It is a overbalance diaphram first stage/Balance second.
Another good choice would be the Aqualung Legend Glacia For the same reasons as the MK 17/S600

If you're considering the SP, think about getting the G250V 2nd stage rather than the s600. It's probably better in cold water. The MK25 is probably not the ideal 1st stage for sub 40F water, and while I don't know too much about the atomics, I do know that the 1st stage design is an evolution of the MK25. They may have some freeze protection that works well, I really don't know. So, if you're really going to be spending a good amount of time diving in extremely cold water, a sealed diaphragm 1st might be better.

One thing I do know, if I spent the big bucks on an atomic and it had problems in cold water, I'd be disappointed. I've never heard much about them for really cold water use either way. You'd think they would have designed something pretty effective for preventing freezing, given the price.

I really like balanced piston regs, and the overall performance of the MK25 (and I assume the atomics) is very high. But I'll never dive in sub 40F water! (famous last words)

Well since the mk25 is one of the worst cold water regs out there id have to vote for the atomic st1 or the b2 as long as it is sealed Friend has been using the st1 under the ice seems to be doing well i have about 50 dives with my m1 and z2's under the ice if you want a scuba pro the only one worth getting is the mk17/g250v its the only scubapro reg that is worth diving in cold water

I will add my vote for MK17/G250V. I will not comment again about cold water performance - it was already said, but the MK17 is smaller and fits better on the tank. Also, G250V has larger knobs, easier to handle with a glove on your hand.

The other advantage to the mk17, besides the reasons mentioned above, is that it usually is less expensive than the mk25...

I don't recommend it just based on price, but considering it's ability to perform better under a variety of conditions the lower price is an added plus... :)

If you're considering the SP, think about getting the G250V 2nd stage rather than the s600. It's probably better in cold water. The MK25 is probably not the ideal 1st stage for sub 40F water, and while I don't know too much about the atomics, I do know that the 1st stage design is an evolution of the MK25. They may have some freeze protection that works well, I really don't know. So, if you're really going to be spending a good amount of time diving in extremely cold water, a sealed diaphragm 1st might be better.

One thing I do know, if I spent the big bucks on an atomic and it had problems in cold water, I'd be disappointed. I've never heard much about them for really cold water use either way. You'd think they would have designed something pretty effective for preventing freezing, given the price.

I really like balanced piston regs, and the overall performance of the MK25 (and I assume the atomics) is very high. But I'll never dive in sub 40F water! (famous last words)
That G250 vintage would be a very good choice for cold and warm,the only thing i see that may not be as nice as the S600 is its size.
G250v is alot bigger,but for me i would rather have the G250 v , more versatile.
So i Agree with Mattboy on this one.

I would not say that G250v is "a lot bigger". It is bigger, but not that much. I think its radius is ~1cm bigger only. I feel it is perfect for handling with gloves in your hand (specially the buttons, which are proportionally bigger).

That G250 vintage would be a very good choice for cold and warm,the only thing i see that may not be as nice as the S600 is its size.
G250v is alot bigger,but for me i would rather have the G250 v , more versatile.
So i Agree with Mattboy on this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom