Critique and Criticism needed on this pic!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaybombs25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi heres another pic taken with a Canon A 640 with the internal flash in St. Lucia. This one is of a rock beauty.. Comments and Critique needed. Thanks

Attachments

• Rock Beauty.jpg
    Rock Beauty.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 197
It's a nice shot but I would crop out some of coral on the left. Maybe up to the little pink stuff on the bottom. You really got some beautiful colors there so I would hate to crop close and lose all of the beautiful color. Plus, I like to see habitat.

For some reason I could only get a cropped view when clicking on the photo. The composition is nice as these fish are tough to photograph however the subject is a little small in a busy background. Either get closer, or if not possible, use the optical zoom to get in tighter, then crop it slightly. The photo appears a bit "soft". With the A640 you can crank up your shutter speed while using the flash which should help make your future action shots a little crisper. You did manage to capture "eye contact" which always helps make a photo better.

I cropped a fair amount on the right side which was a large section of fairly bare rock. I also didn't crop too much on the right so that the subject isn't centered and falls closer to a thirds line. Thanks for the comment.

With your permission... Here is what I have done...

crop
Instant fix
Palletted fix (Increase intensity, increase brightness, highlights, shadows and midtones)
Sharpen by 11 pt.
resample to 300 dpi and changed to 600 x 800 for posting here

Attachments

• Rock0Beauty.jpg
    Rock0Beauty.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 115
I was thinking of cropping it close like that but the only problem was it was a bit tooo pixelated. As for the shutter speed that I think will help a great deal. This was my first time around using the camera and I played around with the aperture mostly so that I could get a feel of exactly how it affects the pics. Next time I will use the full manual controls and step up the shutter speed a bit because I agree it is soft. The eye contact was the most difficult thing to capture, ended up taking bout 10 shots before he would cooperate. Thanks keep em coming.

The subject of the photo is the Rock Beauty, you have however too much of the red sponge in the picture to the point that it dominates the pic., thereby making the subject not as important as it should be. The colors are great but you have left too much salad in the picture.

First off, congrats on a nice shot! Half the battle is getting in reasonably close and getting the subject to face you the right way. The Rock beauty, while a touch soft, is in good position and good focus. I do agree with Nolad that the brightness of the coral detracts from the focus on the fish, but that can be easily adjusted with post processing. Being a bit tighter in to the subject would be nice too, but that's just my preference.

Nice shot of a difficult subject - they just don't sit still!
It's a portrait, yes?
So, I like to crop as a portrait of a Rock Beauty...
RockBeauty2.jpg

Rick

Just my 2 psi, but I think sometime we try too much for portraits. Not every fish photo has to be a close up of the fish's face. What I liked about his original photo was that it showed where the fish lived. People who don't dive have no idea how beautiful it is under the sea. Besides, when you crop that photo too close, you can see how soft it really is.

Back
Top Bottom