SoCal beach entry speargun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapatton

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been diving for years and am finally looking at getting into spear fishing a little. I am looking at either JBL or Riffe. I typically hunt at places like Leo Carillo, Malibu Road, etc. I probably would go primarily for Calico/Kelp Bass types of fish - probably in the max 18" range. I am not looking at the Fosters for Guppy type of fish - just a weekend bbq dinner type.

It seems I should be looking at the 42" range but am not sure if I should look at the wood or metal version. I am still very inexperienced in the actual usage of the spear guns but often take photos, and hunt lobsters. I feel very comfortable with my buoyancy. The real key for me is to know what's legal to hunt, when and at what size, in addition to picking the right tool for the right task. I already surfed the fish and game site and have an inkling of what's legal and such, although matching the photo to actual can be a coin toss.

Any recommendations on JBL or Riffe only? Advantages/disadvantages to either brand or types within those brands? I am doing research here, with friends and on other sites, but thought I would actually post a request instead of trawling the shadows.

Thanks!

Wow, no comments? From the posts I have read, the Hunting crowd is neck and neck with the DIR/GUI folks on opinions, but none on this one?

I am looking at possibly the Riffe Competition 0S, or possibly the JBL Woody 38 Special or JBL 38 Special XHD or Northwest. Will this rile up some opinions on the choices? :D

Basically I am NOT looking for a big fish gun, I prefer to use it more off beach entry, around rocks and such. I do not want a cumbersome speargun either since I am new to spear fishing, but certainly not new to diving. I will also only be diving - not free diving.

35 views of this post and nary a comment? I am surprised.:11:

Scubapatton,

I went through the decision making process just like you are with very similar requirements. The gun I ended up with is the JBL 38 Special NW, It has great power for it’s size and the muzzle on the NW is quite a bit easier to reload under water, it didn’t break the bank either. I was doing the same diving as you, off the beach and around the reef, I wanted a gun that I could take along while I dove, not a gun that I would have to do a spear fishing dive with. It has since been many years and that is still the gun I choose to take with me and it still works like the day I got it. As some people say, the wood is a quieter choice but that really it hasn’t bothered me at all, neither has any buoyancy difference. Just my 2cents.

I also dive and hunt in the same areas as you, I use a Riffe euro I think 90cm. No matter the size of the fish as long as you are blowing bubbles with a loaded gun they will not come close to you! I cannot tell you why thats just what I have found. I am glad I went a bit bigger for my gun as I am taking shots from 10-12 feet away with great accuracy. I also am not too under powered if by some chance a WSB swims by, I know it doesnt happen often. If you are looking at the JBL's or any other gun look at the track. The wood JBL's do not have a good track and that scares me as you can get shaft whip. I am nothing but pleased with my Riffe its a great inshore gun for exactly what you are looking to hunt while being easy to swim with. Hope this helps if you would like to meet up and try my gun you are more then welcome to, I dive leo all the time.

I've seen the JBL 38 special NW used. Works good up hear in the NW. However for price and I generally shoot smaller fish I use the JBL Explorer 22. It'll bring down most fish I would be going after and doesn't cost an arm and leg. Just a free diver.

Alright now I need to ask since there are 3 post in favor of the JBL.... Dont get me wrong I have nothing against the JBL I just think that every gun has its place.

With that said the guys using the jbls where do you hunt, what type of hunting do you do? Is it lots of rock and holes? If thats it then yes the JBL is a good gun for that, hell I would be using a JBL if that were the type of hunting that I did no way would I want to do that to my Riffe! I hunt that same spots that were asked about and I can tell you that most of the fish that he would be hunting are calico and sand bass, sheep head, halibut, Those are the main target species. A diver will not be able to get within 8' of one of those game fish will your JBL hit that distance???? Yeah maybe but with what accuracy? I regularly hit a legal bass with a head shot from 10-12', can your JBL do that? You need the accuracy with these smaller fish, if you do not get a good shot they will easily tear off then you are left with a woonded fish and no diner!

Once again I will let you try my gun you can see for yourself... It looks like you live real close to me if you would like to see the differences in the 2 brands lets meet at a dive store that has both and I will show you. Dont get sold by what the store has.

Just my 2c I just know many people who bought the JBL just to turn around and need something more.

Tailchser....I have several brands and models. And I always go back to JBL. Everyone has a favorite. I dive and hunt offshore Savannah Ga. on the wrecks and the Navy towers. I have found JBL to be the best gun to modify and interchange for what I do. I go after Grouper, Red Snapper, Hog Fish, and my favorite COBIA, well...next to Grouper. Distance...range...and accuracy? Operator dictates accuracy. Distance and range, know your weapon of choice. I'm not telling you anything you don't know. And I have no experience hunting in your water. But yes to answer your question, I make kill shots out to over 15' away. Free shafting or lanyard(lanyard is 400Lb SS leader 20' long for wreck hunting) "in my opinion" (we all have one) JBL makes a good rugged gun. And in my experience it will get the job done.

Captain Walt
You said it first and fore most its not the arrow its the Indian!!!! You also say that you have to modify your JBL to get it to work for you. Now are you saying that you get your 38 special bone stock to shoot 15' accurate? My rife is how I left the shop bands and all no mods, and for someone who is getting into spearfishing you need to be careful when modifying bands on a gun over and under powering a gun can cause shaft whip and that is very dangerous.

Hold a riffe hold a JBL forget price and you tell me what one you would rather shoot? For instance I looked at a JBL for my girl, she doest need much but the trigger mech and safety! On the shop floor the safety switch is not easy to flip on and off, I swim with my safety on and flip it on right as I line up my shot!

And I never said they didn't make a good gun just not my first choice!
I think I am up to about 8c now!!!

Posted this before it might answer a few of questions on power.

"Most commercial guns have slings that require about 60 pounds to cock and sears that will generally operate satisfactorily with in the range of several hundred pounds of sear pressure. Therefore a JBL/ Riffe/Biller with stock slings will create 60-120 - or 180 if three slings are used as on a JBL NW special.

However slings are subject to deterioration, wear, from usage and tension creepage after being cocked or maybe the incorrect size installed by the shop or previous owner if a used gun. Slings also come in a variety of diameters, colors and rubber formulas. Therefore, all these factors affect the sling power of an individual gun --

Serious spear fishermen of California ( I can not comment on your area) have as part of their amentarium a "sling tester." The slings are homemade, tested on a sling tester and often trimmed to require as much as 120 pounds per sling to load, consequently a 3 band gun will require 120-240-or 360 pounds using all three slings. The slings of choice is the very stable black thick diameter "Prodanovich Modulus."

The types of guns are generally long barreled customs and requires a special trigger mechanism such as a Prodanovich, Riffe, Gibbons or preferably an Alexander to operate satisfactory under a increased load, however stock original Cavalero Arablete, JBL and a few such as the one piece Prodanovich/Potts (Bottom scratcher) mechanisms have been used satisfactorily with decreased power for many years prior to the Gibbons introduction in to the US and being copied by Riffe and improved by Biller."

It use to be said about the SOCAl serious spear fisherman..."They would purchase a gun on Friday evening and by Saturday morning it would be so modified that it could not be recognized as the same gun."

The JBL came out about 40 years ago and was marketed by Voit, then Mares and finally JBL aka Joe Lamonica ( who has passed on and the company has been sold and moved to SD.) It is a good gun but does have some limitations as all guns do. ( Did any one ever read the Article about JBL that appeared in Discover Diving about 15 years ago titled "The man with the Golden Gun." All about Joe and his search for the perfect gun.

Riffe is based on the Gibbons Mechanism and is a well thought out gun, but also has limitations, and is now at the height of its popularity.

So both guns are good both are Bad,

sdm

Back
Top Bottom