Goliath capture by hand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgdiver50

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
a few years ago, i saw a piece on TV about a guy from Miami that free dove in relatively shallow water, waved his hand in front of a goliath grouper. The grouper took the bait. The guy then grabbed the fish through the gills & wrestled it to the surface.

I'm trying to track down a film clip, but don't know the name, the show; duh, anything.

Anybody else out there know more details?

I think the guy also jumped on alligators from a canoe & wrestled them to the surface.

The person you are thinking about may be a guy named Manny Puig.
Look him up and see...your description sure sounds like Manny...

Bill

yep, that's the guy.

Manny Puig is the guy. I think he may have been diving with the Wild Boys on that one.
I got my dive flag autographed a few years ago by Manny at the spearfishing championshop at Hatteras. Interesting guy...
Closest thing I have done was noodle about a 25 pound flathead catfish while snorkeling.
I slipped a few fingers into his mouth and brought him up. About the first 5 seconds he went along with the program. Then he clamped down-Hard! Felt like a door shutting on my fingers. I showed him to my buddy and then I let him go and then he let me go and we swam off our seperate ways. I would be afraid to do that to anything bigger than that catfish. It may wanna keep you....

Manny is the MAN!!! He use to have a show on animal planet where he would free dive and ride hammer heads, wrestle jew fish, and would grab gators by the bottom of their jaws and take them to the surface. It was one sick show.

I forgot the story on this picture, but I think it came out while gutting a larger fish caught. But it satisfies the title of " Goliath Capture by Hand".

120baby_goliath-reduced.jpg

I know that this thread is dead, but I found the video that it refers to. It occurs in a WildBoyz episode. Season 2, Episode 14 titled Florida. You can download it on Bittorrent if you want to see it, however be careful because their was an episode in season one also called Florida. Here is a link to the summary for this episode.
Wildboyz: Florida - TV.com

This first aired on "Extreme Contact" with Manny Puig, Mark Rackley and Mehgan Heaney-Grier. It aired in 2000/2001 on Animal Planet.

Back
Top Bottom