Quality DPV on a budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Tours N Iraq`

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I do not have any experience in DPVs but I'm wanting to find out more about them as my girlfriend (soon to be fiance) has CP and doesn't have full use of her legs. She wants to get scuba certified after hearing my endless babbles about diving and I was wondering if there is a good quality, yet inexpensive DPV on the market today that would make the sport more enjoyable for her? Thanks for your help in this.

What kind of budget? A used Mako in good condition often runs around $1000. Sea Doo makes some very cheap DPVs but I have no experience with them.

Seeing as how I'm currently unemployed it would depend on what job I get. I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive (around $1,000 to $1,500) one to see if it will be beneficial.

The really cheap Sea Doo's are very very cheap and fragile while the upscale Seas Doo model is just normal cheap and unreliable. I'd avoid both - especially in a situation where the mobility is required and the diver could be left stranded without one.

In the last month I have seen 2 tekna scooters with some nice mods go for $550-$650. I bought a nice Mako a few months ago with clutch and relay mods that improve reliability and durability for $860. Good used Makos sell everyday in the $1000 range and don't move sell very fast at all around $1300, so I be cautious at $1000 and would not pay more than that.

Both models are good quality scooters that use the same Oceanic motor and prop as the much more expensive Gavins and X-scooters, so they are an excellent deal for the money. They are good to about 160 ft out of the box and you can upgrade them for use to about 200-240'. You can alos upgrade the clutch and the relays and have the motor rewound to higher performing specs if desired.

The advantage of the Mini-Gavin and X-scooter is mostly lighter weight (about 33-35 lbs compared to about 50-53 lbs for the tekna and Mako) and greater depth capability. But that weight reduction and expanded range will cost you a lot of money as a new Mako goes for about $2300 while a new Gavin or X-scooter will run about $3500 and used scooters tend to be priced along similarly disparate lines.

Either way, consider going with a scooter strap to allow one handed and very relaxed operation rather than driving them in the manufacturer suggested manner.

I've never had a single issue with my seadoo explorer, which was ~500. from what I have seen they are well built, and can tug along a driver in a drysuit at a pretty decent clip.

I've never had a single issue with my seadoo explorer, which was ~500. from what I have seen they are well built, and can tug along a driver in a drysuit at a pretty decent clip.

You're one of the lucky ones. We went out with 4 brand new GTI's a while back. One flooded, one seized up, one shorted and caught fire and one worked fine. Not good odds in my book but I know others that have good luck with them. For someone with CP I would look for something else.

My wife has MS and has found the standard Force Fins move her along ok. I don't like them but they work for her.

Gary D.

You're one of the lucky ones. We went out with 4 brand new GTI's a while back. One flooded, one seized up, one shorted and caught fire and one worked fine. Not good odds in my book but I know others that have good luck with them. For someone with CP I would look for something else.

My wife has MS and has found the standard Force Fins move her along ok. I don't like them but they work for her.

Gary D.

Gary,
I guess that we have 2 lucky scooters, since neither one of our exporers has leaked or had any other issues (my dad also has one). Having said that, the explorer is completely different from the other seadoos with its water sensor and 160' rating.

Glad that the force fins work well for your wife, it is always interesting to see them in
use, however rare the sight is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom