What reg is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monty9

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What reg is this. it says that it is a calypso j but everywhere on the net they dont look anything like it. Does any one have any idea what year it is? It still works but should i replace it with a New primary and relegate it to my backup as my current back up is kinda not very good. What would you guys reccomend under $300us?

ScubaBoard Gallery - My Reg - Powered by PhotoPost

Thanks for your help

Monty,

It's an Aqualung Conshelf XIV. Quite a good reg. Very acceptable as a primary. If your occy is on the way out, you might want to upgrade to a new reg (make that your primary) then demote your Conshelf to an Occy.

As far as which one, I have no clue as I dive Oceanic (Delta's, Omega's, Alpha's, Diverite, etc.). Go see a Dive Store, ask them their opinion then do a test dive with the Regs, and see how you like them underwater. There is no better test.

Cheers,
Michael

Yeah thanks mate.
What do you reccomend?

I only see a picture of the second stage. The second stage is the basic metal US Divers (now Aqua Lung) second stage that they used in most of their regulators in the 70’s and in at least part of the 80’s.

The specific model is determined by the first stage.

The body of the Calypso J first stage was a horizontal cylinder with the yoke made out of one piece with the body. The J can be identified by the reserve lever on the end of the first stage opposite to where the LP hose comes out.

The Conshelf has a short cylindrical body with the end of the cylindrical shape is where the yoke is threaded to.

The second stage is standard and parts are readily available. If the first stage is a Conshelf, you are in good shape since they still make it and most Aqua Lung regulators use all the same internal parts.

If the first stage is actually a Calypso J, it is a balanced piston regulator (versus the Conshelf that is a balanced diaphragm) and parts are very hard to find. The HP seat is a unique seat and it is not supported anymore. It is a good regulator, but they haven’t made it in probably close to 30 years so they don’t make parts for it anymore.

I only see a picture of the second stage. The second stage is the basic metal US Divers (now Aqua Lung) second stage that they used in most of their regulators in the 70’s and in at least part of the 80’s.

The specific model is determined by the first stage.

The body of the Calypso J first stage was a horizontal cylinder with the yoke made out of one piece with the body. The J can be identified by the reserve lever on the end of the first stage opposite to where the LP hose comes out.

The Conshelf has a short cylindrical body with the end of the cylindrical shape is where the yoke is threaded to.

The second stage is standard and parts are readily available. If the first stage is a Conshelf, you are in good shape since they still make it and most Aqua Lung regulators use all the same internal parts.

If the first stage is actually a Calypso J, it is a balanced piston regulator (versus the Conshelf that is a balanced diaphragm) and parts are very hard to find. The HP seat is a unique seat and it is not supported anymore. It is a good regulator, but they haven’t made it in probably close to 30 years so they don’t make parts for it anymore.

I will get pics of my first stage tomorow.

Thnaks mate

Hi,

I think that's a calypso "J" 2nd generation, but as Luis says we don't see 1st stage...

You can see calypso J 1st generation on our website : .:: SDHR - Detendeurs de Collection Anciens ::., first stage is the same on both.

@+ SDHR Team

I thought about getting a new Aqualung Calypso. I cant get over how much cheaper it is to buy from the states then it is in Aus to get that reg at my local store is $499 and i can get it importated for $270au. I like US Divers and my family have used them for years is the calypso any good. I will relegate that reg at the top of my thread to my back up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom