Mares Abyss in cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northcoastdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any experience with the Mares Abyss in cold water? I've been using mine in 37 degree water with no problems, but I haven't been deep with it yet in water colder than mid 40's. It will get a few degrees colder here, and I will be doing some deeper dives, so I was hoping somebody out there had some firsthand experience with this reg in cold, deep water.

In my experience it is one of the premier cold water regs, at least when a cold water kit is installed.

I've had my Abyss regs under ice (temps were 38f just below the surface and 43f at 80'). I've also used them on 200'+ dives in Lake Michigan where the temps where about 38f-42f.

I do not have the cold water kits installed and the IP is set at the low end of the factory specs.

No problems with mine either under ice or in the refreshingly cool (mid 30's) waters we find up here in the Great Lakes at depth. A good solid performer that will serve you well for many years.

Just my two cents...Cheers!

...for an extra measure of safety, you can install a Mares cold-water-kit for the 1st-stage (it's not the newest style dry-sealed kit the latest generation of regs have, but is instead an older-technology clear silicone-oil filled kit) ...I had one installed on a Mares RUBY a couple of years ago, and I think the same kit works for the Abyss. I don't dive 'cold' water, so I have no personal real-world cold-water experience, but it worked fine in Cozumel 2 years ago, for what that's worth.

Karl

Hi,
I am diving on two Abbyss regs, one so called model 2005, one 2007 (both 1st and 2nd stages) . Temperature range from 4 degrees (Celsius), last December, to 6 degrees last Sunday. No problems at all until now, no freezing, etc.

I didn't read the whole article, but I'm not a big fan of environmental kits on diaphragm regulators. The diaphragm itself is an environmental seal that should keep water out of the HP area. I have gone ice diving and my Abyss regs worked fine, although my harness, bolt snaps, and mask strap all froze solid during the surface interval because the air temps were well below freezing.

The only thing that the environmental seal protects on a diaphragm reg is the main spring. There might be reasons why this is a good idea, such as diving in contaminated water. This also might be more important with a piston reg since I believe the piston and the HP area are actually exposed to the ambient water without the environmental seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom