BATON ROUGE area- new dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MudMD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This is for anybody living around Baton Rouge that doesn't already know:

A new dive shop, Liquid Planet Divers, opened in Denham Springs sometime in the past few months. The owner is a former associate of one of the other shops in Baton Rouge. They're what I guess would be considered a full service shop: gear, service, instruction, able to do fills (not sure about nitrox). When I was there they mentioned they were trying to organize some trips for the spring.

My impression of the owners are that they seem more customer oriented than the other two shops in the area. Their prices seem to be more reasonable as well.

LIQUID PLANET DIVERS
27360 La Highway 16
Denham Springs, La 70726

Tom

This is for anybody living around Baton Rouge that doesn't already know:

A new dive shop, Liquid Planet Divers, opened in Denham Springs sometime in the past few months. The owner is a former associate of one of the other shops in Baton Rouge. They're what I guess would be considered a full service shop: gear, service, instruction, able to do fills (not sure about nitrox). When I was there they mentioned they were trying to organize some trips for the spring.

My impression of the owners are that they seem more customer oriented than the other two shops in the area. Their prices seem to be more reasonable as well.

LIQUID PLANET DIVERS
27360 La Highway 16
Denham Springs, La 70726

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the post. No, I was not aware of them. Are they north of I-12 or south of it?

I am struggling for a scenario in which I might use them though. I live in Springfield on the east side of Livingston Parish. So unless I was going on a trip with them, I would probably not be driving 20 miles west to Denham Springs fighting I-12 traffic, and then back east again to dive in the lake, and then back west again to drop off tanks or get fills. It must be nice for people that live in Denham Springs though.

Let us know if they start a website. Thanks.

Their web site, LiquidPlanetDivers.com, has a Google map, but basically, exit north at Denham Springs exit, turn right onto Rushing, and continue north on Pete's Highway (not far at all, well south of Florida).

Apparently, they're a PDIC shop. Both UA and Seven Seas are primarily NAUI, although I know that UA can do PADI and others, if requested. (I'm not very familiar with Seven Seas, but while I've never felt very welcome there, I will say that they were very accommodating when I asked if I could get J. into their pool to review skills with her while she was on vacation back here in the States.)

If LPD is even half as outgoing as UA, they should do well -- driving in from Livingston Parish every time you want a fill is certainly inconvenient to some. (For me, UA's less than a mile from home and work, but I'll have to drop in at LPD to say hello.)

I went to their website, and I got their number and tried calling them. No one answered. Their website does not indicate their days and hours of operation anywhere. Should I assume they are closed on Mondays? When/how are you supposed to return tanks after a weekend dive trip, I wonder, if you rent them there?

I went to their website, and I got their number and tried calling them. No one answered. Their website does not indicate their days and hours of operation anywhere. Should I assume they are closed on Mondays?
Nah, I don't think you should assume that. I've seen quite a few dive shops with 10am or 10:30am opening times. Since we're far from diving water, it's not like Panama City Beach where the shops might open at 6am to let you hit the water sooner. Around here, being open later (to be able to drop by after work, regardless of traffic) would seem to be far more useful.
When/how are you supposed to return tanks after a weekend dive trip, I wonder, if you rent them there?
I'm sure they have an answer for that, considering they mention weekend specials. If you ask about it, I'd certainly mention that they may want to post hours (or at least a guideline) on their site. :wink:

I went to their website, and I got their number and tried calling them. No one answered. Their website does not indicate their days and hours of operation anywhere. Should I assume they are closed on Mondays? When/how are you supposed to return tanks after a weekend dive trip, I wonder, if you rent them there?

Jim,
They are open Tuesday - Saturday. I think they open around 9 and close about 6. Not sure about returning tanks on Mondays from a weekend dive, but I'm sure they don't charge an extra day for that.

I find them to be very friendly and easy to deal with. I took a Nitrox class there last weekend and was very pleased with both the class and the instructor.

I have just recently had the pleasure of meeting David and Amy. Wonderful people!! I was in a hurry for a dry suit for winter dives and since I have a little "extra baggage" required a custom dry suit, but did not have the time to wait. David spent a lot of time calling and researching to find one that would fit me and most importantly that he was comfortable selling me. I ended up with a Pinnacle suit.....love it!!! It is the envy of my co-workers, who have DUI suits. Once it was in, we tested it during one of his scheduled class times and he took the time to make sure I was comfortable with using it and that when I got out of the water I was indeed dry!!!

I even enjoy stopping in just to chat over a cup of coffee....which by the way is always brewing!! Great people!! I look forward to taking my next classes with them!!

Back
Top Bottom