Clark Hill/Lake Thurmond 1/27/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Four of us dove the E. Dam, Clark Hill today at 1:30p (best time for max sun and vis this time of year). Weather was 58 degrees, minimal wind and sunny. Lake is 12.5 feet below full pool. Water temp was between 45-47 degrees depending on whose computer you were looking at with no thermoclines. We dove to max depth of 108' for dive time of 59 minutes. Vis varied from 15' down to about 45' and slowly dropped to about 8' on the 80'wall and 7' at 108'. Three of us dove wet (2 in Scubapro semi drys and me in my 7mm X-cell jumpsuit with hooded vest) and three were in 100s (other was in drysuit and doubles). We began our dive dropping down to the three big rocks (42' today) - lots of small fish and dead hydrilla that had dropped down the slope. We headed NW down the slope to the 80'wall (68' at the top today). I cleaned the hydrilla off of the pirate flag and we headed north along the wall. We then turned west down the slope to 108'. Lots of small fish all the way down (saw two nice channel cats at 80' yesterday). We then headed north along the bottom and then turned east. At about 100' I picked up a small fish and handed it to my dive buddy. The fish was alive but lethargic. I was a little surprised that there was as many fish at the 100' depth. The oxygen content is enough to support life, but the fish are pretty lethargic. After reaching the 80' wall again we swam along it until the end and then dropped down to the 100' wall (88' at the top today). We swam north along the wall, past the large stumps and anchor and made our way up to the 65' ledge. We followed the ledge until it played out and then headed upward to a grouping of stumps I found a while back and then on upward to the big stump. We then turned south along the 55' ledge to the bouy line and anchor, through the trench and onward to the angel statue. Upward to the 40' ledge (28' today) to the gnome (18' today) and south along the ledge to the budda statue. We then swam east and upward to 20' and continued south for an extend 15-20 ' safety stop. Michael found and intact (full) bottle of Bud chilled to a nice 45 degrees which he gave to Dave (Michael must have been narced). We continued our swim that took us over the plane -three large hybrid bass. We then completed our safety stop and headed to shore. A nice day of local diving and not too chilly at the end.:walksmil:

Sounds like a good day. Nice report!

Yeah, vis is improving, though not as good as last year. Last winter we were near full pool and when the wind came up this meant water splashing on the rocks. This year with the lake down 12 feet, any wind washes on silt not rock. The 15' ledge is not as vertical as it used to be due to the sand/silt washing down. Regardless, we had fun today. Actually, no one really focused on how cold the water was (except for some cold feet for those with 5mm boots) but how well our suits held up to the cold temps.

sounds like much better vis than the other week.

Absolutely! Much better. Minimal rain this past week, minimal wind. Life is good. I was diving the 80' wall with no lights (as was most of our group) and enjoyed 8' vis or so. Vis has been steadily improving the past few weeks. The lake has risen almost 1.7 feet and the improvement in vis surprises me given this influx.

sounds like much better vis than the other week.

When he said 1 person had a Drysuit and doubles I thought it was you. Andy how had the doubles and the warm suit?

When he said 1 person had a Drysuit and doubles I thought it was you. Andy how had the doubles and the warm suit?

No, this was one of our locals, K. "aka faceplant doubles":D (a couple of weeks ago he missed the new 2' ledge at the shoreline made by the high winds/waves upon his exit ). Not sure if you have dove with him yet. He is a solid tec diver, so-so wader :D Apologies K.
Currently, the lake is getting better, however. the river is mud.

Hope all is well in Savannah.

That wasn't one of those "I mint to do that thing"? Haha! Everything down here is going good. Went back to work and now I can't wait for another Vac..

The Bud was excellent BTW. A nice finish to a great dive! My 6.5mm were not enough, got those neoprene socks on order now.
:monkeydan

Yea. I got me some 3mm neoprene socks in the other day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom