Alabama Point Dive Report 1-27-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I woke up this morning and was sure that the weatherman had once again lied to me due to the cloudy, crummy weather. Luckily at about 11:00am the clouds all broke and the skies turned sunny and nice. I arrived and started checking things out. Upon arriving back at the parking lot amadus98 was on site and gulfdiver1970 arrived soon after. We decided to make the long walk down the beach and get into the water. Since there was an incoming tide we would then swim around the point of the jetty and dive the entire length back to the beach and then make our way around the seawall if we had enough gas. We suited up and just then cmufieldhockey8 arrived. I didn’t check the board before I left and didn’t notice that CMU had posted at 11:00am that she would be there. After a short wait we were off for the walk of doom. The water never felt better upon splashing in. We decided to surface swim to the point to avoid the two or three fisherman that were out there. Once around the point I teamed up with gulfdiver1970 while CMU and amadus made up the other buddy team. The water out at the point was terrible, more like pea soup than anything :shakehead:. I would say three feet of viz with almost zero in some places. I got to 25 fsw and it started getting very dark. I looked at gulfdiver1970 and we decided to abort the dive and return to the surface. We were greeted by CMU and Amadus who came up as well. Gulfdiver had gotten his hands sliced up diving in similar conditions before and he really wanted to surface swim back, I had no problems with that because I really wasn’t looking forward to running head first into a huge boulder. Amadus and CMU decided they were going to try to get to where the sand and boulders meet and get back to the beach and made their decent, while we surface swam back. Gulf diver and I arrived at the beach way before the other team so I grabbed my flag and we went down the seawall. The viz was better there at around ten feet in places. We finally got a ways down the seawall and the viz was going down to almost nothing quick so we turned the dive back into better viz and made a nice leisurely dive back to the beach. When we were almost at the beach I saw a line with a carabineer on it splash into the water and then back out again. When it splashed in again I gave it a little tug and then let go. When we surfaced we saw CMU and Amadus on top of the seawall giving it their best shot at fishing for divers :D. The only problem is they forgot to bait their line with a Yuengling or Budweiser for best results :wink:. The day wasn’t a total bust; at least I got in a 33 minute dive. Amadus put the day in a good perspective by stating that a bad day of diving is better than a good day at work. The lowest water temp my computer registered was 56.5* the highest was 60.1*. Post dive debrief was at Tacky Jacks for some good grub before we all went our separate ways. I didn’t take the camera along for the dive, but I did get some surface shots, here they are:

0062.JPG

004.JPG

0053.JPG

0032.JPG

0012.JPG

Nice job on the effort. I thought about heading out that way, but was so elated at having nothing to do I played couch potatoe for the entire day... it was nice as its been so long since I've done nothing - LOL! :D

Great surface shots.

Well you didn't miss too much as far as great diving goes, But getting out on the seawall was still pretty cool. I'm not sure how long of a dive cmu and amadus had but they inched their way along the jetty.

When I first started diving I only would go out with my one friend that I got certified with and I lost out on alot of opportunities to go diving. I am really glad I found ScubaBoard, now I get out and dive alot more.

We got close to an hour. It got so dark down there that upon descending I felt like I was in 50 ft of water when in fact I was on about 20. Viz was crap and I still froze, but it was nice hanging out with the crew.

it was a crappy day for sure ,but being able to dive with the group was great and all in all the misadventures were a blast..things always go better with good buddys

Man, the water looked really low. I wonder how the vis was later...

High tide was supposed to be at 4:00pm. We dove at 2:00pm so we should of seen better viz. Gulfdiver was right it was pretty much neap tide, there was little tidal change that day. I also guess the recent storms have jacked things up a bit.

it was a crappy day for sure ,but being able to dive with the group was great and all in all the misadventures were a blast..things always go better with good buddys

I must admit even though the viz was not the best I still had a good time and dinner at Tacky Jacks with everyone was good fun as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom