Uwatec Smart COm or Aladin air z nitrox wrist mounted which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murat

Registered
Reaction score
I just can't decide if I should buy the Uwatec smart com console or the wrist mounted aladin air z nitrox. I heard the smartcom has a problem with the quick disconnect o ring, but apart from that what do you guys think?:confused:

Well....I am going to stay a little wide of your question.

By that I mean just address where the computer goes. It would be my recommendation to go with a computer that would allow you the freedom to go either console or wrist mount. I started with a console mount and after a while got tired of it. Way too much a of hassle...no such thing as a quick check.

I was lucky enough that the computer I had bought could go wrist mount and once I gave that a try I will never go console again.

As to the two brands you noted....I dont use either. A Genesis man here.
safe diving

I have a smartcom and gave it to my wife and went to a suunto vytec.I much prefer a wrist mount over a console mount but my wife likes the console so all worked out well.

I have the Smart Pro. It's the same as the Smartcom except it's on your wrist and it doesn't have the air gauge. I love my computer so far. It has the infra-red intereface which is nice because there are no cords to plug into the cmoputer. I have only dove Nitrox on it and will probably stay that way.

I had the Alladin before and I like the Smartpro much better.

I went through a similar process a few months ago. I ended up with a SmartCom rather than Nitrox Air Z. I think the choice will depends on your preferences. The most important one being console vs wireless AI and level of safety margin. (assuming you only are interested in AI). Smartcom has several other features that Air Z Nitrox does not but it probably is not significant enough to offset the console vs wireless debate for most people. The Microbubble feature is what won me over. Basically it just make the computer a bit more conservative. I don't mind the slight inconvenience of console, having used to my old console with automatic bottom timer for years. Finally decided to let my brain rot and jump on divecom more recently. It would be nice if Uwatec release a version of Smartcom with wireless AI.
I do like Uwatec large display better than Suunto so I stayed with Uwatec.

I use the SmartCOM and I really like it a lot. A friend of mine dives the Aladin Air Z Nitrox with the wireless AI and to me, it seems like a waste of money. Tht's how I went with my decision personally. The computers both do essentially the same thing. I like the interface on the SmartCOM better. I like the console better...I feel like I would lose the wrist mounted computer. I just don't trust the little flimsy elastic strap to hold $800 to my wrist when I'm diving. In all honestly, there isn't a LOT of difference between the two. Sure, the SmartCOM has micro bubble protection but I just turn that off anyway as it's way too conservative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom