Cold water reg for pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew Richardson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
In advance, thanks but lets skip discussing alternatives to a pony.

Comparing price to reliability, what reg do you recommend for a 40cf pony diving cold fresh water (say less than 40F). Obviously, its going to be rarely used but needs to work when required. my main reg is an Aqualung Legend LX but I am not sure I want that much money again and am wondering what alternatives I have.

Zeagle ZX-DSV,
Apeks DS4 first stage,
I've heard the Scuba Pro Mk2 is ok, but I have no personal experience.

Kronos with the cold water kit installed. Balanced sedond stage, somewhat compact and reliable as hell.

I have an Apeks XTX-50 on mine pony. Works fine at the bottom of Gilboa...

In advance, thanks but lets skip discussing alternatives to a pony.

Comparing price to reliability, what reg do you recommend for a 40cf pony diving cold fresh water (say less than 40F). Obviously, its going to be rarely used but needs to work when required. my main reg is an Aqualung Legend LX but I am not sure I want that much money again and am wondering what alternatives I have.

I use an Atomic Z1 with the Cold Water (environmental seal) kit.

Terry

Cold and dark. I do have to say that the visibility has been pretty good the handful of times I've been down there. I can't think of a good reason to go down there other than for training though. I don't really care for the cold so my dives there have not been all that enjoyable- usually my hands get cold and that makes the dive rather not-so-fun.

I did my AOW in the deep end of Gilboa and I've never been colder...... But my Dive Rite RG2500 worked great! I don't think they sell it anymore though, but my Zeagle 50 D is my main reg and it's even beter IMO.

I'm going there for the first time in a few weeks... I wont be filing a deep dive plan because well...not deep diving. :) Cold and dark just doesnt sound fun.

I think deep plans are required there any time on the "deep side" of the wall - so whether the plan is required depends on where you plan to dive in the quarry not necessarily on depth.
Mike, the owner is pretty meticulous about reviewing the plans also.
Lots of stuff there to see on the shallow side too.

Back
Top Bottom