Favorite "safety" inspection station?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjcoussens

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My beautiful, and luxurious 1988 buick century was denied a safety sticker after the oil change monkey said the suspension was "too bouncy" (when asked if he could quantify what too bouncy was, he was unable to come up with an answer...), I'm now looking for somewhere else to go. Anyone have a cousin or know a shop that would be willing to ignore said "bounciness" and pass my car?

I know their is at least one more board member in the same predicament I'm in so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Benny's on Ahui St off of Nimitz under the overpass. It's a body shop that does inspections. All he has ever done to me was come out, have me turn the turn signals on and off, brakes, reverse, headlights and windshield wipers, then here ya go! I think he charges $20 for it instead of the $14(?) (I don't know, I only go to him!)

By law, they're not supposed to charge more than $15 & change (I think it's $15.36 after taxes).

I found that there were two garages in Hawaii Kai that were less than worried about most details -- the 76 station near the bigger mall on the east end of the marina, then the grease monkey there sent me to another one as they couldn't approve it because of an obvious thing -- broken turn signal lens.

The "too bouncy" test amounts to they push down on a corner, and the suspension must stop the bouncing within two cycles in order to pass. I found the safety inspection guidelines online somewhere a few months ago. Let me know and I'll see if I can find them again if you want.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to our Talk Story forum for topside topics unless you can give me a good reason to leave it in Local Reference

No problems with moving it at all. Thanks for the suggestions, I've got a couple of more local places I'm going to try first.

Thanks,

Matt

The 76 station on W. Hind Dr. out towards Hawaii Kai just does the light/horn/wipers thing, along with a tint darkness test. The tint test was the only time they touched the car. But then my car is a 2002, so maybe they exercise some judgment on when to do more.

Just curious but where did you go? I had a Honda Accord with too dark of tent and I went to a couple of places. A lot of places do different things. I know a Lex Brodies told me my rear brakes were shot and wanted to charge me 500 dollars to fix them, but ignored the tint. It all depends on the place you go. If it is a "bouncy" thing, I would try a jiffy lube either in Pearl City or Downtown.

My beautiful, and luxurious 1988 buick century was denied a safety sticker after the oil change monkey said the suspension was "too bouncy" (when asked if he could quantify what too bouncy was, he was unable to come up with an answer...), I'm now looking for somewhere else to go. Anyone have a cousin or know a shop that would be willing to ignore said "bounciness" and pass my car?

I'd go back to the shop, talk to the owner and unless he can come up with a state regulation regarding "too bouncy", along with a specific measurement, that you expect an inspection sticker.

Maybe you need shocks, maybe you need an inspection done by someone who is older than your car.

Terry

In mechanic speak, too bouncy means he pushed down on the corner and when he released it, the car bounced more than twice. You need new shocks.

Back
Top Bottom