Need house for Sony DCR TRV33

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some reasonably priced new options:

Electronic controls:

USVH PC housing - USVH Housing Information
Probably a Ocean Images TRV - Ocean Images Underwater Digital Video Camera Housings - Sony - Mini Sony TRV Camcorders
Top Dawg II or Mini (fits in both) Top Dawg Underwater Video Housing, Top Dawg Mini Housing, Top Dawg II Housing

Mechanical controls:

Ikelite - SONY UNDERWATER VIDEO HOUSING
I think it'll fit an Equinox Pro 6 - Equinox Underwater Video Housings for Sony, Canon and Panasonic cameras - by WNRS
But contact them to be sure.

There's others, the complete list of housing mfr's. is here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/205264-video-housing-manufacturers-list.html

Thank you! Will check this out. A friend of mine will visit Denver, (CO) in a couple of weeks. Any tip where to buy a housing in Denver? I guess the price is better in US than Europe.
Regards
Ken

I'm not sure there is anywhere in the Denver Area.

None of the manufacturer's are close by. But what you might do is see if they could ship it to meet your friend.

I don't know if it's applicable in your case but I recently posted some US prices for housings for a SB member to compare against in Norway, his price was better locally than the US price when you added shipping.

Video housing dealers are few and far between here in the states.

USVH is in the Seattle area - they sell direct.
Backscatter in Monterey sells the TopDawg direct.
Ocean Images is in Florida - again direct.

Ikelite is in Indiana, but they sell through dealers - maybe direct also.
Equinox is in Michigan - they sell direct and through dealers.

Some dealers to contact:

Aiko Trading in Oregon lists the Ikelite TRV-33 housing on their website: Ikelite Sony Underwater Video Camera Housing/Waterpoof Marine HD Video Case

Other dealers you might contact:

H2OPhotopros in Los Angeles
Marinevisions in Texas
Reef Photo/Video in Ft. Lauderdale
B&H Photo/Video in New York
Adorama in New York

Not sure if any of them will have the housing for your camera in stock as it's an older model - technologically speaking...

I don't know how much you're looking to spend but since you're in Europe, I really like the looks of the Silverfish housing made in Germany. It looks to have a lot of nice features for the money.

I've never actually seen one in person but I have seen photos and a description from someone who owns one. And your TRV-33 fits it. silverfish - Unterwassergehäuse für Camcorder

Thank you !!
I think I go for a housing with LANC control. Also looking for a used house but haven't found one yet. Perhaps a little bit to risky to buy at distance.

I compared the price for Silverfish in Europe (2385 $) and in US UnderSea (2279 $). To my understanding I do get much more with the UnderSea kit that include a good LCD, wide angle lens and filter. Is my comparison correct?

Regards
Kenneth

Not exactly, Both include a 2.5" TFT LCD monitor.

The difference is that USVH powers it using a longer-life camcorder battery and Silverfish using 4 AA batteries.

Both include an external red filter - see the Press photos on the Silverfish site for a picture of theirs. USVH includes a UR/Pro filter which is a known supplier here in the states.

My personal opinion - Lanc control is a good idea. I've had two housings both with electronic controls. I like to have all the controls I need on one handle while filming.

Manual White Balance is a nice feature that allows you to correct color balance u/w while shooting. It works by setting a white reference that allows the camera to correctly "see" colors.

The USVH housing allows for MWB via their electronic controls. If your model is one that they support - you'd have to check as their electronics don't work with all Sony cameras. And it requires the $300 upgraded controls.

I didn't see any mention of MWB on the Silverfish website.

The Silverfish has a moisture/flooding alarm. But realistically it's only useful on/near the surface, if the housing floods at depth, you likely won't surface quick enough to save the camera. It also has a microphone. USVH doesn't offer either option afaik.

One other point to mention, should you wish to upgrade to one of Sony's HDV camera models in the future, only the Silverfish can house it. You would need the USVH MiniDV model not the PC model housing that fits your TRV-33.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom