Advice for beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kyle in WI

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys
I just saw some spearfishing videos online and it looks pretty cool. Does anyone have any good websites where I could start to learn about the sport? Any beginner advice/tips?? I'm looking at gear and I see Riffe teakwood guns are by far the most expensive. What is so good about these guns? Do these guns give added power or accuracy, or is it that they are the most quiet.
Thanks

I 2nd the above. Also, check out youtube for more videos on spearfishing. Besides being cool to watch you can also get pointers from the videos as well.

I'm looking at gear and I see Riffe teakwood guns are by far the most expensive.

Riffe's are very nice guns, but not the most expensive out there. And any spearo will tell you that it's not the gun, it's the shooter that puts fish on the dinner table.

I saw you are new to diving and the sport. Most countries outside of the US don't allow hunting on scuba gear and you must freedive. As well as most interior states have different restrictions on hunting in fresh water which is very different from salt water hunting.

Also welcome to our sport, it's exciting, rewarding, & divers from all over the world will help you.

I'm pretty sure that WI allows spear fishing with scuba gear on quite a number of water ways.

Well said Johnoly.
Also another real good tip is find a "mentor". The learning curve will be alot shorter.

I'm pretty sure that WI allows spear fishing with scuba gear on quite a number of water ways.

Obviously the game laws of the state in question need to be checked but it's my understanding that most of the Great Lakes states limit spearing to non-game spiecies.

I believe that is true for the Great Lakes themselves.

However, looking up the WI DNR documents: http://dnr.wi.gov/fish/regulations/2007/documents/SpearNet0708.pdf

I found this:

"Underwater Spear Fishing: It is lawful to take the following
fi sh species with the use of spears and spear guns by skin and scuba
diving in all waters where spearing for rough fish is permitted
from sunrise to sunset during the listed spearing seasons: white
bass, yellow bass (striped), rock bass, crappie, bluegill, perch,
pumpkinseed (sunfi sh) and bullheads provided that the season for
these species is also open on the same water. Daily bag limits and
length restrictions also apply."

To answer part of your question, I find my riffe to be extremely quiet. I believe it can make a great difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom