computerized card verification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jacek

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Is SSI & iantd computerized just like padi ? meaning if I go on vacation and forget my card will the people at some resort be able to verify if I have a card from one those two and what kind of specialty it is ? thanks

Interesting question....I didnt know PADI could....would...do that. And, I would wonder about dive shops in remote locations having the capability...and being willing...to do it.

I have color xeroxed my AOW card and carry that with me with my original basic. If I go somewhere exotic I leave the basic at home and take the original AOW...I figure if I lose one at least it isnt losing both.

RICHinNC once bubbled...
Interesting question....I didnt know PADI could....would...do that. And, I would wonder about dive shops in remote locations having the capability...and being willing...to do it.

I have color xeroxed my AOW card and carry that with me with my original basic. If I go somewhere exotic I leave the basic at home and take the original AOW...I figure if I lose one at least it isnt losing both.

PADI members can look up certification details on the members website. Anywhere with an internet connection will work and they will also give you the information via the telephone if you're a member.

Losing you card isn't a big deal either. All you need is your card number and proof that you are who you say you are and you can request a replacement card (for a price) at any time. PADI's records go back like 20 years or something.

R..

I don't know about SSI but IANTD doesn't have an automated way to check a divers status like PADI. During business hours the information can be had by phone but that doesn't help if your half way around the world and busines hours are midnight in Florida.

IANTD does, however, list active instructors on their web site.

actually a phone verification will do just fine too.. how difficult is it to verify your card/specialties with SSI and IANTD ? thanks

With PADI you can check online if you are a "PADI Pro". As far as SSI, I don't think they have an online option but I'm sure you could call SSI Headquarters in Colorado and verify, also you can call the shop where you got certified and they should be able to verify as well. With PADI it show all Certs with PADI as well as the date and Instructor number but you need the divers full name and Birthday.

Scott

I carry my DM card in my wallet, along with my IATD Nitrox card. I keep the rest of my C cards (including the PADI Nitrox card) with my log book in my dive bag. That way, I have something to show no matter where I am, and I can buy gear anywhere in the rather rare event that someone needs to see it before selling something to me.

As others have said, PADI members can verify certifications over the internet. Our shop has not found a way to do that with any other agency's certifications.

SSI and IANTD are pretty good about following up our fax requests, and we usually get a reply about one business day after submitting a request. Some agencys charge for this service, though I don't know whether SSI or IANTD are one of those. Of course, one business day isn't so good if you arrive at your dive destination late on Friday. You may be waiting well into Monday before your certification can be verified.

In my experience, a few agencies' records seem to be difficult to search. Replies may not come for several days if your records can be found at all.

Many agencies have problems searching their oldest certifications, so if you were certified in the 70's or earlier, it may be worthwhile to order a duplicate card while you still have your old one.

It helps if you make a clear photocopy of both sides of your c-card and store that somewhere at home where a friend could reach it and fax a copy to your dive center. The more ways you have available to verify your certification, the better off you are.

The obvious lesson is to always carry at least one c-card on your person while you travel. Having your card in your luggage doesn't help when your bags don't arrive when you do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom