All around good recreational reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

checkyourmirrors

Registered
Reaction score
I was hoping for the consumer reports for diving gear but haven't found it yet so i was hoping for some advice if I can provide my specs. I'd like to stay below $500 for regulator system of 1st, 2nd and Octo. I dive in Pudget Sound and warm water.

Nitrox capatible (future proof)
Balanced (easy breathing)
Non-Piston (keep water out of the unit for longevity)
DVT (nice but not required)

I thought I was finding this in the Oceanic Alpha 8 DVT SP5 but I don't like the piston and I am question the cold water support although Pudget Sound is could be 45+ degrees.

Check out the Zeagle DSV

Another vote for the DSV, you can likely get one put together with octo and basic gauges for under $500. Another excellent option is the Oceanic GT3, if you look around some places you can find the non DVT version (which I prefer) quite affordable. Try looking at divesports.com.

Oceanic GT3 Regulator

Check out the Zeagle DSV
Good suggestion. I have a couple of ZX-50Ds, which is essentially the same as the DSV, but with the swivel feature, which isn't a requirement for functionality, and just adds to the price. Great regs, warm and cold, shallow and deep. Easy breathing, reliable, easily serviceable.

I was hoping for the consumer reports for diving gear but haven't found it yet

Try Regulators - Scuba Diving Magazine It's a sort of consumer reports for diving gear (with 1 big difference - the magazine does accept advertising from companies it is reviewing).

another for the Zeagle DSV. great breather and affordable, unless you need it, avoid the swivel (50D), just adds to the price and increases work of breathing. Besides, the hose routing on the DSV is great anyway.

I was hoping for the consumer reports for diving gear but haven't found it yet so i was hoping for some advice if I can provide my specs. I'd like to stay below $500 for regulator system of 1st, 2nd and Octo. I dive in Pudget Sound and warm water.

Nitrox capatible (future proof)
Balanced (easy breathing)
Non-Piston (keep water out of the unit for longevity)
DVT (nice but not required)

I thought I was finding this in the Oceanic Alpha 8 DVT SP5 but I don't like the piston and I am question the cold water support although Pudget Sound is could be 45+ degrees.

Nitrox Compatable: Not a big deal. Virtually every regulator made (with the exception of titanium 1st stages) can be switched back and forth between air and up to 40% nitrox without special servicing.

Balanced: Nice

Non-Piston: Both piston and diaphragm regs will have an ambient chamber (this is the part that fills with water. What it sounds like you want is an environmentally sealed regulator, which will indeed keep that chamber dry. They do, however, cost significantly more. Proper freshwater rinsing will suffice toward a long life with any reg. The sealed ones tend to be most popular with cold water divers to prevent icing.

My personal favorite for a reasonably affordable balanced reg is the Atomic Z-2. Also, a few months ago Scubapro put its Mk25/s555 combo on clearance. There might still be a few floating around out there for under $300.

Actually, the one that fits your question, durable, easy to find parts and service for everywhere, easy to repair and maintain and has exceptional performance for the price, the AL Titan LX. N

Actually, the one that fits your question, durable, easy to find parts and service for everywhere, easy to repair and maintain and has exceptional performance for the price, the AL Titan LX. N

Yeah, the Titan is pretty bombproof.:D

Back
Top Bottom