Any Thoughts on ProMate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that Promate, along with a few other companies (Sea Elite, Salvo, Oxycheq, TDL, Apeks? and Dive Rite to name a few) get regulators manufactured by the same company in Taiwan. These regs are all essentially the same, high quality, easy availability of parts kits, etc. Although I believe Dive Rite does change out some of the parts in certain models.

FWIW, I was looking at the Promate regs for my doubles setup, until I found the Sea Elite regs at Divers-supply. They look identical, but are even cheaper (and can be had for quite a bit cheaper even if you can find an instructor to place the order for you :wink: )

That said, most of this is speculation on my part, and some info I've gathered from a few other people and TDS, so it may not be entirely accurate. I'd love to find out for sure.

Matt

You might want to ask this in the Zeagle section.

Well I know Zeagle designs their own regs and not just using some off the shelf regs from some other supply house, as to who makes them for Zeagle, I don't know. I looked at the promate regs on their website, and none of the first stages look anything like Zeagles to my eyes.

I know nothing about ProMate regs, and have actually don't recall ever hearing of them until this thread.

I can assure you that we do not make them, nor assemble them.

Sorry...

Scott

ProMate is there own full line company but I would make sure that you can get it serviced easily and find out what there warranty is. Parts for life? Look up and see how many dealers they have around the country. You can probably find something in your price range and still get a more recognized brand if you shop around.

ProMate regulators are made by Ocean Divers Taiwan. This is a very large OEM company that also makes Sea Elite, Salvo, ScubaMax, Oxycheq, TDL, and Dive Rite regulators. Rebuild kits are interchangeable between them if you figure out which model is which. It's easily figured out by just looking at them. Many times the logo is the only change between brands.

These are very solid hi performance regulators that have been used by the tech community for years.

Promate is in fact a full line and purchases their equipment from the same suppliers that many of the big industry names purchase from. The biggest difference, price! As a Promate dealer, I service what I sell. I believe that you will see a lot more of Promate the longer they are around. Having only been selling equipment for about 6 years, they are doing quite well. Just remember, the folks they purchase much of their line from have been manufacturing equipment for the dive industry for over 20 years. I purchased the line for my student/rental equipment as well and am quite pleased. Wouldn't have invested so much in a line I didn't find to be a quality product. Everything in the promate line comes with a 1 year warranty and I extend your warranty on your first stage every year you get it serviced. The "lifetime" warranty you hear from other manufacturers is dependant upon you getting your reg serviced within the 365 day window anually. RE: Free parts kits. Some manufacturers even offer free parts with your anual service within this window. Well, considering a promate regulator costs hundred$ le$$, thats a lot of making up to do with $18 parts kits!

EastcoastdiverLLC,
I couldn't find them on the website, but for those of us comfortable servicing our own gear, do you sell just the parts kits for the promate regs? If so, how much?

Thanks,

Matt

I recently purchased a few Promate Regs for customers. Since these come from the same manufacture as Oxycheq (that I also sell) I assumed there would be no problems. Hell the Promate line of masks,fins,boots etc rocks...But, the intermediate pressure was not set at the factory on some of them so they could not be used right out of the box.WAY TOO HIGH ! I used one personally in Coz last week and the IP fell out of adjustment on my second dive day. I did find a minor defect and was able to "eyeball" the IP adjustment screw and take it on a night dive the same day.

All in all they breath great and are great value for the money. Just make sure the dive center sets it up prior to you using it.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom