"basic" camera + housing for $300--possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harley1962

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just saw a rebate for the Fuji F40FD, which makes the NEW camera price about $150 after rebate. Therefore, with the Fuji housing the total is LESS than $300...

However, other than the "cult" status of the F30/31 of last year I am not familiar with the Fuji build quality--however dpreview.com JUST gave the F50FD their HIGHEST rating and the F40 uses the same sensor, but with less MP (which many say is better for overall image quality anyway). The F50 isn't much more $$ but has no rebate in effect...

How this all translates to UW, I am not at all sure--but I need something that is easy to maintain, takes good basic shots, and that I can use to teach (and let students use for) the PADI DUP Course...so I don't need to go "overboard" with huge a expense, but if I am better off with say a Canon SD870 or such model and the Canon housing, (because of superior build and reliability, etc..) then I would spend the extra $100 or more...

But for UNDER $300 this seems like a pretty good deal....
Would appreciate ANY ideas or comments on this subject.
HB

Check this out.
Last weekend I picked up a couple of a new model (5 MP) from the same company for $110 each - housing good to 130' they say. I intend to use 'em in my beginning digital UW photo course...
I haven't gotten 'em wet yet but topside shots look pretty good...
Rick
---
edit - I should have waited a day!
Check this out!
Rick

Wow, that IS a deal Rick!
But , working/teaching out of the USA, I have to consider my rather remote location (i.e. replacement parts, customer service issues, etc..) and therefore will probably opt for something more "mainstream", meaning durable...

I can certainly understand the "semi-disposable" concept that those cams would have, but again, I'd have almost no way of getting replacement parts etc..
That's why I think living in Asia I'd be better off with either the Fuji or of course, Canon.

But good link, and thanks for sharing!
HB

I just bought my setup the other day and found some great deals. Staples has the Canon A570IS for $129 (at the store and online) and Amazon has the Canon underwater housing for $145 with free shipping. Not bad.

Plus, when you buy a camera, Staples gives you 20% off the accessories (at the store only, I think).

I just bought my setup the other day and found some great deals. Staples has the Canon A570IS for $129 (at the store and online) and Amazon has the Canon underwater housing for $145 with free shipping. Not bad.

Plus, when you buy a camera, Staples gives you 20% off the accessories (at the store only, I think).

Soon they will be giving that camera away....that's when I get another one or 2...lol....

I don't think you can beat this deal. If I hadn't recently purchased a Canon A720IS I would buy this one in a heart beat. This setup has a whole lot of capability for probably the best price I've ever seen.

Rickg

Here's a topside shot with that 5MP ($89 at Amazon) Intova...
(I had to downsize it considerably to get it uploaded, and the board downsizes it even more for display in a thread, but you get the idea...)

0033.JPG

Here's the (downsized by 4X) original upload...
These haven't been retouched - just shrunk.
I plan to get 'em in the pool tonight & will see what they get...

Rick

Bought an Intova 6MP at DEMA and have not had any issues with it yet. Used it 5-6 times so far. I take back the no issues part. If you use it for a night dive make sure you have the strobe. Without it the photo will have a dark section - lower left - where the housing blocks the in camera flash. Other than that so far so good. Did have an issue with damaged goods (packing issue) from distributor but they were very quick to take care of the situation.

Hey Harley,

The SeaLife Reefmaster isn't a bad choice. The image quality from that camera is actually pretty nice for no bigger then it is. You can outfit that camera with an external flash and wide angle lens. I had that unit though and had some issues with it not related to image quality. It would freeze up occasionally and the only way to get it back up and running was to remove the batteries which you can't do underwater.

I ended up selling the camera and opting for a Sea and Sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom