Attu and Kiska

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just recieved a video about "the forgotten war" which was the bloodiest battle of WWII. I am planning a get together in the next couple of weeks to view it. I have batted an expedition around for a couple of years, but I think it's time to get serious. I haven't found any published diving information anywhere. Let me know if you're interested and I'll keep you in the loop about the video showing.

Im deffinitly intrested. The biggest issue is getting to Kiska. The closest airfield/town is over 600 miles away. I have all the charts and soundings to the harbor, over a dozen wrecks in under 130 feet of water. But no way to get there.
Myles

Talk to Steve Jewett at UAF. Can't remember his title but he is the key guy for scientific diving. I believe he led an expedition to the Aleutians in the recent past. Off the top of my head can't remember which islands. He's also a good source for several other "remote" areas in AK.

Mopst important of all he is a great guy.

biggest problem isn't getting there, or even coordinating the logistics of several days of diving In one of the remotest locations in the country.

Getting permission to dive / visit Kiska is the bigger hurdle. We've talked about putting together a trip from Unalaska, but it would take some serious interest to make happen. All the hurdles are crossable, would just take time and plenty of money.

Jewitt's expeditions are research cruises with about a dozen people. Need a strong university affiliation for an invite. Two of my dive buddies were on re last one - one a UAF marine biology doctoral candidate, the other a hyperbaric chamber operator / EMT 3.

Attu is a little easier...

-b

Back
Top Bottom