Goby question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

etowndiver

Reaction score
When I was looking at the Wednesday photos from last week, I noticed that in many of the pictures the Gobies were quite close to what I assume was a type of coral or othe sea life. Are there toxins in the coral/sealife and if so is the Goby protected by a mucous membrane as is the case in other aquatic relationships.

Also, if anyone knows the name of the mutual relationship between two organisms where both benefit from the relationship. Right now the term escapes me.

thanks in advance,

joe

That's called a symbiotic relationship.

Not sure of the details of Goby physiology that allow it to co-exist with coral, though.

Yes, gobies that are in contact with toxic marine life like some corals & anemones do have a protective mucous coating.

BTW, a relationship between two different organisms where both benefit is often termed "mutualism" by marine biologists.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo once bubbled...
Yes, gobies that are in frequent contact with toxic marine life like some corals & anemones do develop a protective mucous coating.

BTW, a relationship between two different organisms where both benefit is often termed "mutualism" by marine biologists.
Addendum - "mutualism" is one type of symbiosis - so you're both correct. There are other symbiotic relationships, usually where only one partner benefits.

cleaning symbiosis = one partner cleans, while the other is cleaned. both benefit - one from food, one from the removal of dead skin, parasites, etc.

mutualism symbiosis = both partners benefit equally from each other. classic examples clownfish/anemones and goby/pistol shrimp.

commensalism symbiosis = one partner gains from the relationship while the other does not. parasites on fish is a good example.

most gobies do not have a protective slime coat to protect them from a corals nematocysts. those that do sit on corals are few and far between, and even those that do tend to prefer those corals that are known to be less toxic.

HTH

henry

Symbiosis summary:

Mutualism: both benefit (doesn't have to be equally - ie one partner can be totally dependent on the relationship, while the other one does better with it but can live without it).

Commensalism: one partner benefits, the other does not, but does not sustain any harm from the relationship (in reality, often really mutualism where the scientist studying the relationship hasn't figured out what one of the partners gets out of it)

Parasitism: one partner benefits, the other loses

Other interactions between species such as competition and predation (parasitism really is a form of predation) aren't usually included but a case could be made.
<cat steps off soapbox with post #100!>

Wow! Thanks cat! Now I know how to classify some of my relationships... :D

etowndiver, you need to be more specific about the coral the goby was sitting on.

Not all corals have powerful defensive mechanism.

In general I have not seen gobies on Hydroids or Anemone. I can find them on sea fans, sponges, sandy bottom, non burning hard coral...

So I guess they do not have the protective mucous like clown fish, damsel fish, porcelain crab or anemone shrimp.

I believe that you are incorrect in a number of your assertions.

To begin with, one of the defining characteristics of fish in general is that most have cells in their skin that produce mucus. The purpose of this slime is protection, including protection from stinging creatures.

As regards gobies in particular, some indeed can be found in both anemones & stinging corals, and do appear to be protected by their mucus layer.

Amongst others, I would direct you to the Mediterranean anemone goby (Gobius bucchichi) that inhabits the tentacles of the snakelocks anemone (Anemonia sulcata) which is quite capable of stinging, and to the coral goby (Gobiodon unicolor) that can be found living in contact with fire coral (Milleporina).

Also, your post seems to indicate that porcelain crabs (Neopetrolisthes) & anemone shrimp (Periclimenes) have protective mucus. I am not aware that this is the case.

In any event, I would be grateful if you could please support your comments with some science so that I might better underderstand them.

Thanks.

DocVikingo

As I already mentioned, etowndiver needs to tell us the CORAL the goby was resting on.

I also mentioned "IN GENERAL, I have not seen gobies on Hydroids or Anemone. I can find them on sea fans, sponges, sandy bottom, non burning hard coral..."

There will always be the exceptions. If you look at the majority of gobies most do not hide in the stingining corals. Hence I asked what coral did you see? Whereas the majority of clownfish will be found in the anemone. Another example are damsel fish, majority do not hide in the anemone, but some do (three spot/domino). If I remember correctly there are some angelfish that also hide in the anemone, I think I saw it on a TV program on New Zealand marine life. The exceptions could go on and on and on...

If you throw a regular crab or shrimp into the anemone, it will get caught up and eventually eaten. I do not have an aquarium anymore, but my anemones ate the live shrimp that was used to feed my lionfish. Same thing with the hermit crabs caught on the sea shore. Of course if your throw a giant sized crab into a tiny tiny anemone, the crab will get away. Same goes for the shrimp.

If that is not what you mean by my incorrect assertions, please explain. Obviusly I have not read your questions/reply fully.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom