Clark Hill/Lake Thurmond, Augusta GA 2/2/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Three of us dove this morning. Lake is up a bit from the rain. Vis held out ok - about 10'. Nice sunny day in the upper 50's post dive. We began our dive heading E. to the three big rocks - lots of small fish today. We then turned northeast past the pool filters to the 40' ledge. We swam the ledge and then dropped to the angel statue and onward to the trench. We exited right of the trench, past assorted anchors to the bouy line then downward through the forest to the 100' wall. As we made our turn South on the 100' wall, we came upon a large cat who decided to assist us in improving our navigational skills by stirring up the silt as it made it's escape. I dove much of the 100' wall w/o light. We angled upward to the 80' wall on our journey south. No lights were needed. vis was about 10'. We swam the entire 80' wall and onward to the missle. I re-laid the line from the wall to the missle as the line was broken and it was mixed up in the dead hydrilla. As I finished the repair of the line,
Dave seemed concerned about the numbers on his computer (they are only numbers Dave:baaa: , they only have meaning if you assign meaning to them:D - ok so my brain was a bit frozen. As an older diver Dave you do need to be more conservative - :bday:- don't worry, you're holding up pretty good for 48). Anyway, we headed east after the missle and back upward to the 3 big rocks and the school of small fish. On our way back to the plane we ran into the Godzilla carp (mega huge guy) we see from time to time. After a brief swim around the plane, we neatened up the bouyancy course and cleaned off the flamingos and the ski boat. Heading upward and back toward shore, we played our favorite safety stop game :whack: off tossing logs at each other -diving is a contact sport. We ran into three small and very lethargic catfish on the way back and a large gar. Nice day of diving. I could still feel my toes- water temp was 45 or 48 depending on whose computer. Dive time was 56 minutes with max dedth of 93'. 4-5 of us are diving again tomorrow.

Five of us dove in two groups today. Max depth was 105' and dive time was 56 min. Conditions about the same as yesterday. Beautiful weather. This is Feb right?

Thanks for having me over. Water was nice and cold; however, my 7mm kept me warm. Glad I took your advice to get some neoprene socks. Next time I won't lock myself out of my car.

Thanks for having me over. Water was nice and cold; however, my 7mm kept me warm. Glad I took your advice to get some neoprene socks. Next time I won't lock myself out of my car.

I will agree that Michael had a more eloquent solution to your locked car problem than mine (mine:100cf steel tank through the passenger's window) :D. Come join us again!

Great write up.

The wife and I will be making the 2 1/2 hour trek that way when the water temps warm a bit more.

Well, if Salt Water Junky will leave Bonaire (ga) to dive here, I guess the trip from high falls won't be so bad:D More swim room than the springs, though not the vis. Better class of people though :angrymob:

Well, if Salt Water Junky will leave Bonaire (ga) to dive here, I guess the trip from high falls won't be so bad:D More swim room than the springs, though not the vis. Better class of people though :angrymob:

:D I see you're still having fun.

Hey Willardj, Absolutely we are having fun. Another great dive today (2/9/08)at E. Dam, Clark Hill. Air temps in the mid 60's, sunny skys and a water temp of 47F. We had good vis 10-12', even on the walls. No lights needed the entire dive. Could it be the good winter vis has finally arrived? We had a newer diver with us today with his first really cold water dive so we were a bit more conservative (at least for us). We dove the 40' ledge, trench and the top of the 80' wall (67' today with the lake down) past the dive flag and back upward to the three big rocks. Huge school of small sunfish here. From there it was to the plane, bouyancy course and ski boat. Swimming safety stop back to shore. 67' max depth for 47 minutes. What is with the catfish? They are very lethargic (cold water?). You can pick them up with your hand. They will slowly swim off when released. I don't think it is an low O2 thing as there are fish in the water column even on the 80' wall. Nice relaxing dive. Unfortunately tomorrow does not look to be as good due to 20K winds expected from the West (waves and silt out likely)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom