Aeris A1 vs. Oceanic Alpha 8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xose

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hi,

I am sure(99.99%) they [0] [1] are the same, but I would like to be sure before buy any of them.

o.o1% come from Scuba Diving Magazine [3] 2oo5 test [4].
Where Alpha 8 gets the "Tester's Choice" and A1 doesn't, because in the subjective DIVES DRY test, A1 = 4 and Alpha = 5.

I am looking for my first regulator for recreational scuba diving(20-25 meters), other options are Mares R2, Mares MR12, ScubaPro Mk2+/R295 and Aqua Lung Calypso.

-thanks-

regards,

[0] Oceanic Worldwide - Alpha 8 Scuba Diving Regulator
[1] DiveAeris.com - Scuba Diving Regulators - A1
[3] 2005's Best New Breathers - Scuba Diving Magazine
[4] http://dive.scubadiving.com/PDF/200506GR_breathers_chart.pdf

Either the alpha or the a1 is a good choice for a 1st reg for recreational diving. As to the dives dry test that is subjective because you don't know the tester, the condidtions, or really any other info. I'm an oceanic tech, the aeris regs are made by oceanic and except for some cosmetic differences are the same. Warranty and customer support are identical-top of the line. Along with the parts for life, easy to get serviced, and easy to get serviced most anywhere with a history of supporting the line way down the road, for the money, you can't beat em. I would advise you on the other hand to consider where you'll be diving in the future. If all you are going to be doing is warm water, vacation type dives it will last you a lifetime. If you plan on doing cold water, diving alot, and less than great conditions, I'd advise upgrading to an environmentally sealed reg like the GT3. You can find one without the DVT new for about the same price as an alpha with the DVT if you look around. Depends on how careful you are with your gear. If you're anything like me when it comes to taking care of stuff like this the dvt is totally unneccessary.

Great advice from Jimlap these regs are definitely the same except for cosmetics. The GT3 is a nice upgrade and is pretty affordable now instead of having to buy another reg later. Oceanic has great products and tremendous Customer Support!!!

I had a peek at the aeris link; it's an unbalanced piston/unbalanced downstream 2nd stage combo, and if the oceanic is the same, then they're both very much in the SP MK2 design. Personally, I'd get the SP unless the aeris/oceanic are much less expensive. But, that's my personal bias, I've never heard anything bad about the other regs.

I'd skip the DVT thingy. With an unbalanced piston, there's really only one way the 1st stage could stop delivering air, and that's if something blocked the inlet filter. Guess what the DVT does? I'm sure there's some sort of downstream safeguard that keeps the inlet open, but since it's definitely not necessary, why bother?

I have the Alpha 8 (non-DVT) and I can tell you it breathes fine. It is a little wet when you're inverted and it's a bit harder breathing when you are on your back though. My buddy has an A1 (non-DVT) and an Alpha 8 for his octo; he swears his A1 breathes much better than mine. Take it with a grain of salt.

No problems in colder water temps either (55 F). Overall, I'm pleased with it. Although I agree with the others that you might as well get the G3 with the environmental seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom