Cavern Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bishop

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm taking a cavern class this weekend at Ginnie. I've asked around a lot but I guess I'll ask here. What should I expect and are there certain things I should be looking for that some instructor's might glaze over?

... but my instructor was a slave driver :tasha:. Read through my trip report and you can use that to compare... See if there are things we did that you didn't, or the other way around [there was lots not included in my report though...].

If you dig around, you might find other trip reports.

I'd assume all the really important stuff'll get covered. Air sharing [both in vis contact and in touch contact], equipment checks, pre-dive planning, line drills & skills, entanglement procedures, lost line & diver drills, secondary light deployment [to hit a few].

I took a cavern class at Gennie last Feb. It was a good class, second only to my rescue class. If you have never dove Gennie, the current comming out of some of those caves is a lot more than you might expect. I have heard it described as swimming up a fire hose and that's about what it's like.
If you don't have a long hose on your second stage, consider getting one or at least borrow one for the class. It makes sharing air a lot easier. I borrowed one for my class and bought one, 6 ft, as soon as I got home for my normal diving. I find it a lot more comfortable that the standard 3 ft hose.
I also added 2 D rings to the lower tank band of my BC. One on each side of the tank, they are held in place with weight belt weight keepers. It allows me to clip my reel and a backup light back behind me and keeps them from dangeling. I also found I liked this addition to my gear and have kept it (and added it to my second BC as well).
Even if you don't intend to continue on to cave, the cavern class is well worth taking.

Is your instructor Josh, Rose, or Larry?

Prepare to have a good time and pay attention. I'll be teaching there either Friday or Saturday, so I may see you there.

I've been diving a BP/wing/7ft hose for about 7 months now and I have dove at Ginnie before. They usually do the Cavern class at the ballroom?

They do the ballroom at Ginnie and the eye in the Devil's system.

You go over gear configuration, different kicks, line drills and running a reel. It's a lot of fun.

mark3397 once bubbled...
They usually do the Cavern class at the ballroom?

Some instructors use the ballroom. I prefer using the Eye and the Ear for teaching cavern. The Ear is great because of the reel work on entry and exit. The first time a student tries to pull a reel and keep from banging their head is generally quite interesting. What a great second or third cavern dive!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom