Closest spring to Augusta, GA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whathedeuce

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I live in Aiken, SC, but im just gonna use Augusta as a reference. Where is the closest spring? Is it Ginnie or are there closer ones? I guess it doesn't have to be a spring i am just looking for some decent diving with good vis and preferably not as much thermocline action...any help? thanks

I live in Aiken, SC, but im just gonna use Augusta as a reference. Where is the closest spring? Is it Ginnie or are there closer ones? I guess it doesn't have to be a spring i am just looking for some decent diving with good vis and preferably not as much thermocline action...any help? thanks

There might be one slightly closer but I doubt it. Plus you're right within 30 to 60 mins of all the other springs there near Ginnie. Blue Grotto, Devil's Den, Paradise, etc.

Regardless you're about 6 to 7 hours away I think.

I believe Ginnie is the closest. Now, if you'd like to get in some saltwater dives as well. Try Vortex Springs and then drop down to Panama City. Vortex Spring: a Florida Treasure

Yeah, kinda figured ginnie was closest. SJ, definitely planning on going to Vortex in may. We are going down to Destin and hope to visit there, hopefully morrison, the jetties, and who knows what else.

What are the best options for this area? Is the lake going to be the best option? what are the temps there these days?

Vortex is fun, but try to avoid the weekend rush.

Ginnie is incredible.
Blue Grotto is a rip-off ($40 to dive and $12 fills)
Devils Den is GREAT.
Morrison is closed.

Rainbow River which is not on your list is incredible. My wife and I love that dive. Pay $10 for the boat ride up the river, and slowly drift down. Sealife is everywhere, and the water is super clear.

Ginnie and troy springs are probably the closest. I like the river dive at Ginnie ok. Vortex is nice. Devils den OK. Rainbow River is fun and shallow. Clark Hill is cold right now, but a cool dive with the right suit :D. The savannah river is nice too when rainfall is low. In the summer, try lake Jocassee - much better than the springs in my opinion. I like to go there if vis is down locally.

diveprof, you reccommend Jocassee? I have heard a lot of good things but don't know exactly what to expect. Is there a lot to see? I had wanted to go there but it was already too cold. When do you think it will be warm enough to head up there and dive with say a 5 mil jumpsuit or 7 mil john? Thats about 3 hours away, right?

Reefwatcher, we went to rainbow river in november...it was so much fun for being a fairly shallow dive. the water was great and so was the wildlife....

OFF THE WALL DIVE CHARTERS (864)944-DIVE
Bill at the above link does boat dive for jocassee. Also you can shore dive from the Boat ramp (take a left before reaching the Devils fork visitor center - right boat ramp is for diving). you can get a map at the visitor's center. Bill's Boat gets you to the Graveyard (a tech dive at full pool, but advanced right now), and the junk (chinese ship in 60' or so) and the wall (starts about 65'). There is enough to keep you busy, but I still like local when the vis is great. Oh, the closest spring might be in my pond, but the vis is crap:shakehead:

Forgot to respond to the last part of your question. Jocassee is above Clemson. If you are looking for warmer temp (I dive it in a 7mm in the summer), wait until June. Surface temps will be 70s (60's deeper, upper 50s even deeper...). think 7mm with hood.

Back
Top Bottom