AquaLung Legend vs. ScubaPro MK25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DebraSue

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

I was set on getting the ScubaPro MK25/S600 and they are not in stock, so I was recommended the AquaLung Legend LX ACD Supreme Regulator. Any thoughts? I have only used ScubaPro and the MK25/S600 was recommended by one of my instructors.

Thanks!

Hi DebraSue: I have been diving with an Aqualung reg for nine years now and its performance and realibility is excellent....I am not using that model, however Aqualung products are by and large very good and this model is a balanced regulator with the 1st stage overbalance and the second state is adjusatable for balance.......I don't think you will be sorry if you go with the Aqualung

Hi Debra Sue!

I currently dive a doubles rig with Mk25/S600 and I absolutely love it! It breathes flawlessly at any depth and tank pressure and is very reliable.

I have also dived the Aqualung Titan and Legend Supreme and I find them to fantastic breathing regs as well... Both reg sets have excellent breathing performance and both perform well in any water conditions.

The MK25 is a overbalanced piston first stage whereas the Aqualung is a overbalanced diaphragm first stage. This boils down to the fact that the environmentally sealed first stage will keep out contaminants and perform superbly in cold water. This being said, I dive the MK25 in the chilly waters of the Pacific Northwest and I haven't had a hint of a problem. The Scubapro piston design will have slightly better breathing performance, but again, with the flow each put out this point is really just academic. Maybe the only other point of note is that not only does the Scubapro have a diver controlled venturi system to avoid surface free flow it also has diver controlled inhalation effort (which I find to be quite nice...) ...

Maybe the only other consideration would be can your local dive store service both Scubapro and Aqualung, and what can you get the best deal on? :wink:

Hope this is somewhat helpful...

I have the MK25/S600 and really enjoy it. There are 2 other comparably priced regs you might look at: MK25/G250V, and the Apeks XTX100.

The Apeks is a diaphragm design and is environmentally sealed for frigid water. If you have aspirations to enter water below 40 degrees, the MK25/S600 has well documented free-flow issues. Both the Navy and Scubapro set the safe temp floor at 38 degrees for this reg.

They're both outstanding regs, and they'll both give you a long useful lifespan.

One question to ask yourself though is whether the rest of your gear that would need servicing is Aqualung or Scubapro. I used to have a mixed set, but they were all bought at the same shop so no big deal, right?

Wrong - I have since moved, and the odds of finding another shop carrying the same multiple brands is low. Also, if you're on a vacation, only having to hunt down one place for any service, etc. will be easier.

Hope that this helps...

I just replaced my glacier with an LX and love it! I think you'd be happy either way. Check with the shop to see what they would say if you try the LX and for whatever reason, you don't like... if they'll take it back in exchange for the scubapro?

Hello Everyone:

I was set on getting the ScubaPro MK25/S600 and they are not in stock, so I was recommended the AquaLung Legend LX ACD Supreme Regulator. Any thoughts? I have only used ScubaPro and the MK25/S600 was recommended by one of my instructors.

Thanks!
The MK 25 Is a better breather ,but the legend is a better cold water reg.
If you are intrested in Scuba Pro You would be better off with MK17/G250 Vintage That would be A more even match with the legend.

If you where going to dive in 40 degrees and up the MK25 is hard to beat.
I have talked with some divers who have used both and they say that no matter how deep you go it breaths great,i only really have heard of one case that a MK25 froze up.
But if i was going to dive alot in colder water i would get MK17

So Debra Sue, what type of diving do you intend to do? What temperature?

Debra,
After doing a lot of research I bought the MK25/S600 I have about 6 dives on it and love the reg it breaths great and hose routing is fantastic that being said it all depends on what kind if diving you will be doing if you going to dive real cold i would probably go with the ScubaPro MK17\G250V. If you can,try out a few different regs before you buy. there is no rush. Make sure you like and trust the LDS that will be servicing you reg :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom