Stainless steel snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tceylan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
2-3 months ago I got couple SS snaps/clips from diverite express. One of them was unusable so it never got even wet (it was very hard to open) and the other
got pretty unusable after 20 dives.

I didn't bother to send the snap(s) back or anything since they are just $8-10 each,
but I'm just curious, has anybody had any similar quality issues with diverite stainless
clips/snaps?

They were bolt snaps medium and small from diverite express.

2-3 months ago I got couple SS snaps/clips from diverite express. One of them was unusable so it never got even wet (it was very hard to open) and the other
got pretty unusable after 20 dives.

I didn't bother to send the snap(s) back or anything since they are just $8-10 each,
but I'm just curious, has anybody had any similar quality issues with diverite stainless
clips/snaps?

We handle a lot of them here in the store. On occasion, we will have one that doesn't work exactly as it should. With the Dive Rite inventory, I find them to be pretty reliable. A lot of the stainless steel snaps you find are not quite as good. I am not an authority on how they are made and the quality attributes that are seen with the various manufactuers. We have had BAD experience with stainless from vendors other than Dive Rite.

Phil Ellis

How did the second one become unusable? Can you describe the condition? Did the spring fail, did the whole thing corrode?

It basically became harder and harder to use. It got stiff, but no visible corrosion.

I've heard of 3 "types" of snaps.

1. Not stainless steel despite what the label says, the entire chrome finish will oxidize off after a few dives. These are obviously not the good ones.

2. Stainless bodies, but cheap springs: the springs will rust and break inside the body, and the snap will seize. Also not a good situation, but this is a bit more concerning because the point of failure and its condition is hidden.

3. Stainless throughout. This is what you want, and when you buy at a dive shop or pay $8-10 per snap, it's generally what you get. I don't know if you can WD-40 or use some other lubricant on them to loosen up the springs, though...

yeh, I have had my fair share of bad quality snaps, but the dive rite ones seem to hold up pretty well. Notice I said pretty well, after a while in salt water I have had a couple of them seize on me. I have also had a similar experience where I got 2 from a DR dealer (DR bolt snaps), and they would only open half way. I took them back to the shop and they exchanged them, no problems since. Now I check their function at the shop before leaving with them. Another thing that I have noticed...put a little bit of silicone grease in the spring, just a dab though, and make sure the silicone doesn't get on any other part of the snap...and they'll open easier and last longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom