Merits of a Shock Coil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you line shoot with a powerful gun and don't use a shock of some sort the gun will be pulled by the shaft when it reaches the end of the line.

I think the general consensus in the spearfishing crowd is that the coil lines are no good. The coiled line will affect the accuracy and speed of the shaft. I can imagine it would be a mess if the fish ended up tangled in the coiled line.

Fl it does, its just terrible if the fish doesn't die instantly around entangelment, On the other hand I use the 30' coil also the huge ling with a shaft sticking out is far enough away the shaft and fish are not going to harm you.

Trey it comes with a key ring, throw it away, use a string. My wife shot a big ling it spun around and the coil came off the key ring attatchement, plus the noise. Ichased it down and shot , had to retrace it he got the spear out, I was putting the shaft back on the coil and hands got cold. I let the gun go and put gloves on the damn pneumatic gun was gone, I turned looked at my wife and she was just loooking at the sealife. Brought the shaft back but Know gun.

Spearfishing is fun, But sometimes spendy.

Think of the old phone cord and how tangled it used to get. I've been told after awhile this type of cord does the same thing.

This cord I believe is the best thing I have found for my NE low viz hunting. On my larger gun I prefer the line.

When you are only shooting a few feet a Tog or Sea Bass its great, and easy...no line to fool with, just reload and shoot. I would think a larger fish may easily tear it apart though, dosen't seem to be the best as far as quality.

The coil lines work best for shooting relatively short distances. The longer the coil, the more likely it will become entangled. Also, when it does become a little tangled, you have to take the time to work it out. If you crank on it when it is knotted, you will put permanent kinks in it.

They work well for shooting relatively small fish under ledges (say less than 10 lbs). The coil line will eventually get stretched and kinked and will need to be replaced like all othe fishing gear. The coil line does slow the shaft down, and I would not want to shoot more than 12 feet with one.

The big advantage is that it allows a much faster and often less tangled re-loading than a typical tethered shaft. They take a little while to get used to using them. Many people absolutely hate them.

When diving New England, shooting under holes with a 3-ft gun, at relatively small fish that are usually no more than 6 feet away, a 10-ft coil line is my prefered set up. I also have used longer coil lines for powerheading large fish with a 5-ft long gun, but in this application the fish never pulls on the coil line hard, since the powerhead will pull out easily.

I have used on for awhile on my Biller 48" and it did effect accuracy. I went back to the original line for the gun and added on of those little yellow bands for a quick load. It makes reloading and wrapping the line much easier and faster as you are wrapping the line doubled. Best $3.00 to spend on your gun.

I do use the coiled cord on my Biller 32" for convenience. This gun I just always keep on the boat incase something is around while we are snorkeling in the shallow waters. There are several wrecks around in 10' of water that we snorkel. Every now and then there will be a nice grouper hanging out there. Range is always close so the coiled cord does not effect the accuracy as much.

A 20' cord is most likely to long. Your range is usually around 3 X the length of your gun. My suggestion would be only use a smaller coiled cord on a small gun for close range and use a speed loader on a line for larger guns.

Back
Top Bottom