Spear Gun (s)--all Time Favorite!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Spear guns have been around for a long time in numerous sizes, shapes and power.

What is your absolute favorite gun(s) and why (is) (are) they your favorite spear gun?

Size? Power, Accuracy? Manufacture? Dependability? Ease of Use? Nostaligia?

Speak right up!

sdm

I haven't done any topside or underwater hunting since the mid-70's, although I have nothing against those who do it legally.

I never used a fancy spear gun... a Hawaiian sling was all I needed to catch my food. Besides, as a private high school teacher, I couldn't afford one... that's why I was hunting and fishing for my food!

I have found several spear guns while diving in our waters off Catalina. I always give them to the dive boat so the crew can use them.

Sam
Growing up it was always sling spears but now that I am a big kid I shoot a Riffe euro 90cm.
Its a great gun for the money and it shoots like a laser. Here in the near future I would like to start building my own guns.

Good topic by the way

I think it was called the Jaguar cub from US Divers. . . chopped barrel, used in freshwater spearfishing competition way back in the 60's. There were divers calling all the pneumatics "Okie" guns because we were the only divers in the region using them. They were more expensive, more maintainenance. . . but the only way to join a group that had shot 50 non-native carp in a 4 hour contest. I always came up short, high 30 low 40s. Fast reloading, was the big advantage. Oklahoma divers, then Missouri divers dominated the Underwater Society championships for many years. When more divers bought pneumatics they became faster.

Now, hunting for the table, I like the Riffe OS metaltech. I can get into the tight areas up in the muddy areas of our lakes. And flathead catfish are good eating.

Way to go Sam, you make me look like a Nazi war criminal. I've had tree huggers worry we'll drive Alligator gar into extinction from our swamps, and the pretty gold fish from our lakes. If only it were true.

".... Here in the near future I would like to start building my own guns...."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I might be able to help you --or others- who are anticipating building their own custom guns. I have been building guns for many years. While in HS my son, Sam IV began building custom guns as a commerical venture for himself, friends and customers.

One of his customers made a down payment on a gun but never picked it up. It is still unfinshed but about 75 % completed. It has a advanced trigger, Alexander mechanism, a Alexander arrow, and a custom form fitting handle, which will need to be modified or discarded and replaced with an Alexander unit. I suspect that he would be willing to sell for a "reasonable" price ( Alexander componets are NOT cheap)

It is currently located in SD --Son Sam IV is a hyperbaric doctor at U of Cal SD Hospital

If you or any one are interested PM me...

sdm

My balco sub (thuner 90) has been great, Last season I put a 6' longer shaft in it, two of the same length bands, so one is stretched a bit longer than the other, seems a little more accurate and powerful.

But what do I know, just my Experience of trial and air.

Wish the wind woul calm down today so I can go shoot lunch.

60" seahornet

accurate, powerful, durable, inexpensive (initial purchase and to replace parts).

currently hunting with a custom Seahornet derivative...65" freeshaft

I really like the Biller 48 and 42. As long as there are no add ons (extra shaft mounts in particular), I find the guns accurate for long shots (free shafting), easy to track on target and well balanced. Replacing the stock bands with 5/8 gives as much power as I need for what I hunt.

Since the old Jags were mentioned, does anyone remember the Johnson SMG's. I thought that 4 barrel model was wicked.

Craig

My reef gun is a Spearfishing Specialties 52 inch Commerical Rhino free shaft gun.

My wreck gun is a 48" SS speedloader line with a backup side mount freeshaft.

Both of these guns would be completely useless blue water, freshwater, or low viz hunting. It all depends where you hunt. No single gun is the best and can do it all.

Back
Top Bottom