Suggestions for Land AND Sea Camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runway1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a family diver; Wife, sons and I snorkel and/or dive together (youngest guy not yet cert'd so he sometimes snorkels with Mom for now).

So, I needed a camera that I could use hanging around the backyard bbq with grandma as well as while diving. Any suggestions on camera setups that might serve both venues well? Thanks all!

I'm a family diver; Wife, sons and I snorkel and/or dive together (youngest guy not yet cert'd so he sometimes snorkels with Mom for now).

So, I needed a camera that I could use hanging around the backyard bbq with grandma as well as while diving. Any suggestions on camera setups that might serve both venues well? Thanks all!

I'd say any of the Canon or Olympus cameras listed in this post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/2187053-post2.html

That is, assuming you don't want to spend $2500 on a camera and housing to take it under water.

I have the Canon A620 setup and am quite happy with it.

Try Sea and Sea's new DX-1G.

It has most of the great features of an SLR: manual controls when desired(shutter speed, apeture, focus), good multi area auto focus, compact camera with easy to use controls, Underwater Housing with add on wide angle lens.

The lithium battery gets many more shots than the literature suggests. I bought two batteries as I though I would need to change between dives given the advertised shot count, but I have yet to swap batteries while on the boat.

Keith

Thanks! Yes, I'm looking for a digital for <$600 (cheap - did I mention the kids?)

DX-1G looks awesome but I need to a bit cheaper. Paying for four at every turn takes some CASH. The Bahamas this year! WoooooWhooooooooo! Hence, need a new camera.

Canon A series will give you the best bang for the buck in both worlds right now. A650IS with WPDC-18 housing for under $500 including tax. You'll want to add a strobe later on, but with 12mp, 4x optical zoom and full manual as well as shutter and aperture priority modes, it should do everything you need on both land and water. If you want more zoom, you can round out your $600 with a teleconverter.

Nikon P5100 with the Fantasea FP5000 housing for right around $500.

The housing is small enough to fit in a large pocket and take fishing or skiing, etc. as well as being depth rated to 200'. Lots of accessories available.

Jack

I love my little Canon A570IS camera (have the canon housing). Use it all the time for taking photos of the new puppy etc. It's the one I grab for happy snaps at the moment.

Does great work underwater, too.

The only think you might want to check out is an A series that takes four batteries instead of two - it will reduce the recycle time for the flash. But the extra size of the camera body wasn't worth that for me - just something to think of.

Lots of great feedback for me to check on. Thanks all, I appreciate that.

Alcina,
You're pics are awesome! Any taken with the A570IS? I'd like to se those.

Electecpaul,
Same question...any pics with the DC-600? Curious... and thanks, again!

I'm leaning toward a canon or nikon with a housing....so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom